- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Bristol Office
We are a highly technical, creative and collaborative team made up of App, Cloud and Embedded Engineers and Data Scientists. We partner with teams across Dyson to rapidly refine early product concepts and ideas, by developing working prototypes that de-risk tech and help production teams understand what is required so they can focus on delivering.
We have a culture of trust and respect; we believe the teams themselves are the best people to decide how they deliver work, and that within the teams everyone’s contribution is vital. We regularly share our knowledge and interests through community meetings, which regularly lead to the adoption of new technologies, methods, and cross-team collaboration.
We are a growing group, currently split into three interdisciplinary scrum teams. Team members are from diverse educational backgrounds and experience levels.
When not building software, we can be found cycling, gaming, cooking, learning foreign languages, making music or building stuff. We’re a very sociable team, often meeting outside of work online or in person.
About the role
We’re after someone who understands iOS and/or Android, and is passionate and proactive about growing their experience and building their broader technical skillset.
In NST, you are often given responsibility on projects, leading on technical and design approaches. You will also contribute to future concepts and technology strategies.
You must be comfortable working with a variety of people — be it engineers in other disciplines on how to build a prototype, designers on how to design something amazing, or commercial teams on the value of the latest App innovation.
We work on future prototypes, so we often work on-site to maintain secrecy and work collaboratively. Dyson labs are not your standard dev studio.
We write our iOS apps in Swift, and Android apps using Kotlin. Since most of our apps are not designed for the public or intended to be supported for a significant period, we are relatively free in our choice of technology. This enables us to understand the value or challenges with new technology to help inform our Delivery teams. For example, on iOS we primarily use SwiftUI and Combine, and Jetpack Compose on Android.
We have our own modules for commonly used functionality, which are managed via Swift Package Manager and Gradle. Due to the nature of our work, we only write tests where needed.
What you’ll be doing if you join NST:
- Rapidly developing prototype apps for Dyson’s latest concepts, often interacting with hardware devices
- Collaborating with colleagues from other disciplines, including cloud and embedded engineers, product owners, and feature and UX/UI designers
- Defining technical and design approaches as well as developing new algorithms
- Picking up new technology, and at times going beyond iOS or Android
- Presenting your work and findings to technical and non-technical audiences
- Participating in our company-wide iOS and Android communities
- You have some experience writing iOS and/or Android apps
- You’re passionate about developing new concepts for mobile – either beautiful user experiences or novel technical solutions
- You enjoy learning about new things and sharing those things with others
- You enjoy collaborating with other humans
- You’re comfortable with change
- You’re passionate about keeping up to date on the latest innovations in App, IoT, Smart Home and general technology
- You’re able to work at our Bristol office at least 3 days per week and the remainder from home
- Performance related bonus
- Company paid Life Assurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Competitive pension scheme
- Purchase additional holidays
- 27 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays
- Free bus travel to and from Malmesbury campus from Bristol, Chippenham and Swindon
- Endless free coffee and tea, and a free lunch
- On-site lifestyle Assist
- Electric vehicle scheme
- Private Medical insurance for all employees
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
- Digital GP and prescription service
- Fertility treatment support
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.