- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
At Dyson we are obsessed with continuously making things better, pushing the boundaries of what others have defined as impossible. We do this by making products that solve real-world problems using both novel and established technologies in new and innovative ways.
Our Verification and Test Team plays an integral part in determining how, when, and where we verify and validate innovative technologies and products to ensure designs are robust to real-world conditions and perform better than the competition. While our primary function is to verify requirements, at the early stages of a project we add value by characterising the performance of prototypes and feeding back data to drive good design.
We're committed to our campus culture and don’t look to offer a regular hybrid working arrangement. This helps us to achieve the spirit of Dyson – collaboration, creativity, and inventiveness – in our inspiring, social, and dynamic workspaces.
About the role
We are seeking a Lab and PUWER Safety Manager to join our Research, Design, and Development (RDD) team. In this pivotal role, you will be responsible for delivering cutting-edge products and features, while ensuring the highest standards of safety and compliance across our lab facilities.
You will take charge of our lab portfolio, located at our Malmesbury and Hullavington sites. Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Lab Portfolio Management: Collaborate closely with various engineering teams, including design engineering, technology development, software, hardware, Test, and prototyping, to ensure that our labs are effectively specified, maintained, and equipped to support innovation. Your expertise will be vital in ensuring the seamless operation of these critical facilities.
- Health and Safety Compliance: Champion a culture of safety within our labs. Ensure that all lab owners are equipped with the necessary health and safety protocols, Risk Assessments (RAMs), Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) documentation, and Machinery compliance measures. Your commitment to safety will be instrumental in protecting our employees and assets.
- PUWER Compliance: Oversee compliance with the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER), ensuring that all equipment and machinery within our labs adhere to legal standards. Your meticulous attention to detail will help us maintain operational excellence.
- Budget Management: Efficiently manage budgets related to lab operations, proactively identifying cost-saving opportunities while maintaining the highest quality standards.
- Facilities Upgrades: Collaborate with our Estates and Security functions to plan and execute significant lab upgrades and manage reactive maintenance, ensuring that our facilities remain state-of-the-art and operational at all times.
This role offers an exciting opportunity to make a significant impact on our products and the safety of our employees while working at the forefront of technology and design. Apply now and be part of our journey to create revolutionary products that change lives.
- Proven experience in lab management, preferably in a research and development (RDD) environment
- Strong knowledge of health and safety regulations, including Risk Assessments (RAMs), COSHH, and Machinery compliance
- Familiarity with the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER) and experience ensuring equipment compliance
- Exceptional budget management skills with the ability to optimise resources effectively
- Excellent leadership and team management abilities, capable of leading cross-functional teams to achieve common objectives
- A keen eye for detail and a commitment to maintaining the highest safety and compliance standards
- Strong communication skills to collaborate with various engineering teams and stakeholders
- Experience planning and executing lab upgrades and managing reactive maintenance
- Proactive problem-solving skills to address complex challenges in lab facilities
- A passion for innovation and a drive to contribute to the development of cutting-edge products
- Performance-related bonus scheme
- Competitive pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines and retail purchases
- Free bus travel to and from campus (from Bristol, Bath, Chippenham, and Swindon)
- Generous holiday allowance of 27 days (plus bank holidays)
- Free on-site lunches, fruit, and hot drinks
- Access to on-site sports centre, gym, hair salon, and lifestyle assistance
- Electric vehicle salary sacrifice scheme
- Option to purchase additional holiday days
- Private medical insurance and dental insurance
- Employee assistance programme
- Digital GP services
- On-site physiotherapy and GP services
- Prescription service
- Fertility treatment support
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.