- Design and Development
- Singapore - Technology Centre
From its origins in a small workshop in rural England, Dyson has grown into a technology company with a global footprint. We have offices from Auckland to Zurich, via Singapore, Moscow and Chicago. While engineering remains at our core, our passion for problem solving across different disciplines runs throughout our business. We're a diverse workforce made up of people with different Dyson behaviours.
Our philosophy remains the same as it was 25 years ago when James Dyson invented the first cyclonic vacuum cleaner. We remain family-owned. We don’t bow to outside shareholders or report to the stock exchange. Instead, we plot our own path, unshackled from conventional thinking.
Dyson people are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes). We’re creative, collaborative, practical, enthusiastic and resourceful. However, most of all we’re passionate about what we do.
This role will be part of Dyson’s Cell Material Characterisation (CMC) team. The CMC team constructively and destructively investigates cells in a proactive manner rather than reactive, to obtain a full root cause failure analysis.
About the role
A successful candidate will have the communication skills to translate technical feedback whilst empowering their own team to fully measure and analyse from the final battery cells down to the material level. Reporting to the Senior Engineering manager, the role will encompass technical analysis and technical communications.
- Contribute to the development characterization activities for CMC diagnostics ensuring the cells, their components and materials are tested for form, composition and function.
- Support the development of both physical capability through equipment competence and theoretical understanding to meet all material performance, safety characteristics and manufacturability metrics for energy storage cells.
- You will be part of the subject matter expert team for quantitative and qualitative characterisation activity.
- Contribute to that material structure and composition requirements are met in conjunction with the electrochemistry and cell build commercial claims. You will help gather information for feedback on improvements.
- Be a core member of the characterization structure, contribute and support representing ESD within Dyson.
- Help develop cell characterisation equipment and information for CMC and be part of the team advising the company on risk.
- Demonstrate clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation to ensure accurate hand over either to other teams within the UK or Far East. Be confident in data acquisition and processing.
- Scientific in understanding but engineering in mind-set.
- Contribute to develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve efficiency.
- Excellent relationship building skills with the ability to build a network of connections both upstream and downstream within Dyson.
- Experience of energy storage cell technical matters.
- Experience developing methods for the physical, structural and electrochemical characterisation of materials and devices.
- An ability to demonstrate a good understanding of the fundamentals of cells and an awareness of the application of modules and pack systems.
- An understanding of qualitative and quantitative material properties characterization and manufacturing processes related to cell engineering materials.
- Good experience in several of the following material characterisation techniques – Electron microscopy (SEM/TEM), X-ray diffraction, micro-CT, FTIR/Raman, XPS, BET measurement, DSC-TGA, elemental analysis techniques etc.
- Strong organisational skills with a methodical and detailed approach.
- Persistent approach to problem solving and an inquisitive nature.
- Must demonstrate a passion for working for Dyson.
- Experience working with secondary cell research or development or production.
- Has used analytical skills to develop a product/idea/process from concept to technology demonstration.
- A Materials Scientist/Engineer with experience in the fields of physical and electrochemical characterisation of materials.
- Appreciation of relevant battery technology or battery products across the industry.
- Educated to Degree level (scientific/engineering based)
Dyson Singapore monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.