- Energy storage
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic, but most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. We are looking for individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Dyson has invested in a R&D laboratory to support the development and testing of novel battery designs. The battery facility is completed and is now scaling up activities. This growth has created an exciting opportunity within the team for an individual who is keen to get hands on with the development of the next generation of batteries.
About the roleDyson requires a skilled and highly motivated Mechanical Design Engineer to help it achieve its battery ambitions and support its RDD characterisation activities.
- Develop battery cell prototype designs and drawings to meet the wide range of battery applications within Dyson
- Ensure battery designs meet functional, interface and tolerance requirements.
- Develop supporting CAD and version controlled design drawings for battery cells
- Generate, develop and implement novel ideas and designs for battery cells
- Develop and manage a set of design rules for battery cells to quickly enable development and testing of ideas
- Develop requirements for functionality, durability and robustness of non-chemical components of a battery cell
- Manage exterior interfaces of battery cell with battery pack systems owner
- Set up and run testing to support any performance, lifetime, safety or mechanical characterisation required of the battery cell or sub-components to develop design requirements.
- Support with the development of test methodology, including the design and optimisation of Jigs and equipment where necessary.
- Collate data and generate summary test reports
- Ensure all the relevant documents; process, COSHH, methodology and data records are updated as required.
About youEducation and experience:
- Degree in Engineering or physical science discipline (e.g. Physics; Mechanical Engineering)
- Electro-thermal or mechanical parts design
- Controlled drawing releases
- Component requirements, verification and validation
- Mechanical design of components in electrochemical environments
- Familiarity with Siemens NX or other professional CAD software environments
- Experience working in industrial research environment
- Experience with FMEA and requirements management
- Ideally experience working in battery cell design and sub components
Essential behavioural skills:
- Excellent analytical ability and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner
- Ability to identify and solve problems independently
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritise tasks
- Excellent team working skills.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Lift share scheme
- Discount on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.