- Science and Research
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge - more categories, more locations and more people.
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas - unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Dyson’s interest in researching and developing energy storage technologies started more than a decade ago, when it became apparent that the full potential of our DDM motors were starting to be held back by commercially available batteries. Fast-forward to 2021, and we now have over 100 scientists and engineers working on battery R&D across our labs in the UK, US and Singapore.
With multiple generations of Dyson battery technologies ranging from early research through the industrialisation phase, Dyson are recruiting a wide range of roles across their UK and Singapore labs to accelerate progress. These roles include materials scientists, electrochemists, cell design engineers, cell test technicians, cell assembly technicians, mechanical design engineers, manufacturing process development engineers and manufacturing technologists. We are recruiting at all levels of seniority up to senior technical leadership roles.
About the role
Dyson requires a skilled and highly motivated Mechanical Design Engineer to help it achieve its battery ambitions and support its RDD characterisation activities.
- Develop battery cell prototype designs and drawings to meet the wide range of battery applications within Dyson
- Ensure battery designs meet functional, interface and tolerance requirements.
- Develop supporting CAD and version controlled design drawings for battery cells
- Generate, develop and implement novel ideas and designs for battery cells
- Develop and manage a set of design rules for battery cells to quickly enable development and testing of ideas
- Develop requirements for functionality, durability and robustness of non-chemical components of a battery cell
- Manage exterior interfaces of battery cell with battery pack systems owner
- Set up and run testing to support any performance, lifetime, safety or mechanical characterisation required of the battery cell or sub-components to develop design requirements.
- Support with the development of test methodology, including the design and optimisation of Jigs and equipment where necessary.
- Collate data and generate summary test reports
- Ensure all the relevant documents; process, COSHH, methodology and data records are updated as required.
- Degree in Engineering or physical science discipline (e.g. Physics; Mechanical Engineering)
- Electro-thermal or mechanical parts design
- Controlled drawing releases
- Component requirements, verification and validation
- Excellent analytical ability and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner
- Ability to identify and solve problems independently
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritise tasks
- Excellent team working skills.
- Desirable experience:
- Mechanical design of components in electrochemical environments
- Familiarity with Siemens NX or other professional CAD software environments
- Experience working in industrial research environment
- Experience with FMEA and requirements management
- Ideally experience working in battery cell design and sub components
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.