- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Bristol Office
We are a highly technical, creative and collaborative team made up of App, Cloud and Embedded Engineers. We partner with teams across Dyson to rapidly refine early product concepts and ideas, by developing working prototypes that de-risk tech and help production teams understand what is required so they can focus on delivering.
We have a culture of trust and respect; we believe the teams themselves are the best people to decide how they deliver work, and that within the teams everyone’s contribution is vital. We regularly share our knowledge and interests through community meetings, which regularly lead to the adoption of new technologies, methods, and cross-team collaboration.
We are a growing group, currently split into three interdisciplinary scrum teams. Team members are from diverse educational backgrounds and experience levels.
When not building software, we can be found cycling, gaming, cooking, learning foreign languages, making music or building stuff. We’re a very sociable team, often meeting outside of work online or in person.
About the Role
We’re looking for someone who is passionate about problem solving. Working closely alongside Mobile Application developers and Embedded engineers you will be responsible for building and maintaining prototype cloud-based services to support potential future products and research projects. In addition, you will be investigating future technologies, services and platforms which can be utilised within our team and the wider Dyson organisation.
You must be comfortable working with a variety of people — be it engineers in other disciplines on how to build a prototype, or how to cloud can be used to inform and enable other teams to make data driven decisions, or commercial teams on understanding the value of the latest cloud innovation.
We work on future prototypes, so we often work on-site to maintain secrecy and work collaboratively. Dyson labs are not your standard dev studio!
The team works on a series of self-contained projects which allows us to adopt the most effective technology.
To deliver on accelerated timelines, we heavily utilise serverless technology from AWS, as well as prototyping languages such as Python or Go. This allows us to reduce overhead and keep us focused on the solution.
While we do not maintain any legacy code, we develop common components which can re-used in future projects.
What you'll be doing:
- Rapidly developing cloud platforms to support prototypes for Dyson’s latest concepts
- Collaborating with colleagues from other disciplines, including app and embedded engineers, product owners, and feature designers
- Defining technical and design approaches as well as developing new algorithms
- Picking up new technology, and at times going beyond cloud development
- Presenting your work and findings to technical and non-technical audiences
- Mentoring junior members of the team, including students from the Dyson Institute
- You’re passionate about keeping up to date on the latest innovations in Cloud, IoT, Smart Home and general technology
- You enjoy learning about new things and sharing those things with others
- You’re experienced building quality cloud platforms
- You enjoy collaborating with other engineers
- You’re comfortable with change, and have experience working in an Agile software environment
- You’re able to work at our Bristol office at least 3 days per week (depending on Government restrictions)
- Performance related bonus
- Company paid Life Assurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Competitive pension scheme
- Purchase additional holidays
- 27 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays
- Free bus travel to and from Malmesbury campus from Bristol, Chippenham and Swindon
- Endless free coffee and tea, and a free lunch
- On-site lifestyle Assist
- Electric vehicle scheme
- Private Medical insurance for all employees
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
- Digital GP and prescription service
- Fertility treatment support
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.