- SGD Competitive Remuneration Package
- Energy storage
- Singapore - Singapore
From its origins in a small workshop in rural England, Dyson has grown into a technology company with a global footprint. We have offices from Auckland to Zurich, via Singapore, Moscow and Chicago. While engineering remains at our core, our passion for problem solving across different disciplines runs throughout our business. We're a diverse workforce made up of people with different Dyson behaviours.
Our philosophy remains the same as it was 25 years ago when James Dyson invented the first cyclonic vacuum cleaner. We remain family owned. We don’t bow to outside shareholders or report to the stock exchange. Instead, we plot our own path, unshackled from conventional thinking.
Dyson people are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical, enthusiastic and resourceful. However, most of all we’re passionate about what we do.
About the role
This role houses the responsibility for the cell design assembly and constituent parts. Being the junction point for the cell technology and the physical requirements, this ownership means delivering a solution to meet aspirations of both. A successful candidate will have the communication skills to translate technical feedback whilst working in a culturally diverse team to translate chemistry requirements into design prototypes and production objects. Reporting to the Design Engineering Manager, the role will encompass Design and Mechanical responsibilities, Object creation and Technical communications.
- Responsibility of mechanical objects, structure and design requirements to ensure the cell can meet form, fit & function – devise and convert design requirements to resolution to ensure a smooth transition to production.
- Responsibility of the mechanical integrity of cell components ensuring the design, tolerance system and assembly sequence delivers high yield, low cost solutions.
- Create, optimise & validate mechanical designs using appropriate modelling, simulation and analysis tools. This would include FE, impact analysis and vibration assessments.
- Implement lab-based testing for component or system characterisation and verification, be ready to create, implement and educate test methods for the validation team.
- Use systems engineering methodologies to optimise product performance and solve complex engineering problems
- Design mechanical solutions to meet requirements of safety, reliability and robustness for the end application. Work in tandem with the Application Engineering to realise Engineering samples and customer deliveries.
- Play an active role in developing new equipment methodologies and novel packaging design. Use mechanical methods to design and critique with leading vendors to enable high volume, low cost manufacturing.
- Generate mechanical design information for Energy Storage, including escalating any significant recommendations or incidents, and advise the team on risk and mitigations.
- Build and manage relationships with internal departments, external suppliers and industry bodies within Energy Storage.
- Provide clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation to ensure accurate information for other teams in the UK or Far East.
- Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously enhance efficiency.
- Excellent relationship building skills with the ability to cross languages and cultures within the team.
- Ability to work sensitively, discretely, and effectively across Dyson.
- Educated to Degree level (scientific/engineering based)
- 5+ years’ experience of Mechanical/Design Engineering technical matters, including experience working with hardware development and production.
- An excellent understanding of the fundamentals of the design process and strong awareness of the application of cells, modules and pack systems.
- A broad understanding of cell manufacturing processes.
- Fluent CAD skills, preferably with Siemens NX.
- Strong understanding of GD&T.
- Experience in the use of static and transient mechanical FEA, preferably using Ansys.
- Strong practical skills and experience in laboratory-based experimentation and testing.
- Excellent direct and indirect communication skills, ideally internationally.
- Strong organisational skills with a methodical and detailed approach.
- Inquisitive, proactive and persistent approach to problem solving.
- Must demonstrate a passion for working for Dyson.
- Experience of working within a battery powered programme a strong advantage.
- Foundation knowledge of cell materials and associated electrochemical properties.
- Awareness and appreciation of relevant battery technology across the industry.
- Ability to communicate at all levels of the organisation.
- When required, travel to suppliers across the globe as well as other Dyson facilities in Asia/UK for engineering build support.
- Appreciation of the fundamentals of software tools for development – LabVIEW/ Python.
BenefitsDyson Singapore monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.