- Product Design
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
The Floorcare team is at the root of Dyson’s growth as a global technology company, with pick-up and separation driving the machines performance. Working closely with technical experts, we develop the latest and greatest technologies to pick up and separate dust more effectively and efficiently, packaged to give the best user interaction. With an inquisitive, hands-on and thinking differently approach you will help drive and deliver the next generation of Floorcare products whilst managing assembly & project level deliverables.
About the roleYou will work independently and/or lead a small multi-discipline team to deliver mechanical design, product behaviours, airflow delivery, harness integration, motors, drive systems and energy storage, using an iterative Design/Build/Test process to demonstrate new technology, intuitive features and performance gains. You will be collaborating as part of a global team, working up-stream to define design requirements, as well as realising the assembly level detail and engaging with our Engineering team in South-East Asia.Our approach enables us to trial and review designs quickly to deliver authentic and pioneering products. We are encouraged to think differently and be unafraid to make mistakes. By joining our world class Research Design and Development department, you will work collaboratively with other leading highly motivated technical specialists and creative people.
• Identify, prioritise and manage risk and resource to deliver on time, cost and spec.
• Lead robust and coherent integration of cutting-edge technologies through connected products working with hardware, software and sensing systems.
• Drive the development of innovative user focused products by collaborating with Research and NPI right through to delivering manufacturing solutions with the Malaysian Development Centre.
• Provide clear and concise communication to key stakeholders to ensure alignment across the business
• Drive and influence project/assembly level design direction across all disciplines and levels, making informed decisions by interpreting complex data.
• Contribute to the development of the team’s capability to support ambitious Floorcare growth by providing constructive feedback to line-managers, as well as mentoring more junior members of the team.
• A degree in Mechanical Engineering / Product Design or equivalent.
• Experience in leading the development of parts and assemblies for robust design and mass manufacture, e.g. injection moulding.
• Practical knowledge of 3D CAD, PLM systems and analysis packages.
• Experience in collaborating with a team and influencing others to successfully deliver results in a timely manner.
• Identification and management of requirements and specifications throughout the design process.
• Knowledge and application of a systems engineering approach to design.
• Ability to robustly plan, prioritise tasks and coordinate with the work of others.
• A sound understanding of mechanical principles and engineering judgement to make robust design decisions.
• Effective assessment and selection of appropriate methods to develop and demonstrate design intent.
• Show suitable verification and validation to prove your design.
• Ability to analyse and evaluate test results to drive design direction.
• Excellent communication, problem solving and analytical skill.
Benefits• 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
• Pension scheme
• Performance related bonus
• Private medical insurance
• Life assurance
• Sport centre
• Free on-site parking
• Subsidised café and restaurants
• Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.