Our global reputation is priceless and it always hangs on what we do next. Dyson is a unique technology enterprise. We pioneer. Our biggest category today didn’t even exist a few years ago. Our next biggest category? That could be where you come in.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. By working in our world-class research, design and development (RDD) department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
About the role
The Floorcare team is at the root of Dyson’s growth as a global technology company, with pick-up and separation driving the machines performance. Working closely with technical experts, we develop the latest and greatest technologies to pick up and separate dust more effectively and efficiently, packaged to give the best user interaction. With an inquisitive, hands-on and thinking differently approach you will help drive and deliver the next generation of Floorcare products whilst managing assembly & project level deliverables.
You will work independently alongside a small multi-disciplined team to deliver mechanical design, product behaviours, airflow delivery, harness integration, motors, drive systems and energy storage, using an iterative Design/Build/Test process to demonstrate new technology, intuitive features and performance gains.
You will be collaborating as part of a global team, working up-stream to define design requirements, as well as realising the assembly level detail and engaging with our Engineering team in South-East Asia.
Our approach enables us to trial and review designs quickly to deliver authentic and pioneering products.
We are encouraged to think differently and be unafraid to make mistakes. By joining our world class Research Design and Development department, you will work collaboratively with other highly motivated technical engineers and creative people, responsible for delivering parts and sub-assemblies within a complex system.
* Identify, prioritise and manage design risk and deliverables to deliver on time, cost and spec.
Apply robust and coherent integration of cutting-edge technologies through an iterative design/build/test approach, working with mechanical, hardware, software and/or sensing systems.
Deliver the development of innovative user focused products by collaborating with Research and NPI right through to delivering manufacturing solutions with the Malaysian Development Centre.
* Provide clear and concise communication to key stakeholders to ensure alignment across the project team
Deliver part/assembly and system level design direction, across multiple disciplines, making informed decisions by interpreting complex data.
Contribute to the development of the team’s capability to support ambitious Floorcare growth by providing constructive feedback to line-managers, as well as mentoring more junior members of the team.
* A degree in Mechanical Engineering / Product Design or equivalent.
* Experience in leading the development of parts/sub-assemblies for robust design and mass manufacture, e.g. injection moulding.
* Practical knowledge of 3D CAD, PLM systems and analysis packages.
* Experience in collaborating within a team, successfully manging and delivering results in a timely manner.
* Identification and management of part/sub-assembly level requirements, risk and specifications throughout the design process.
Knowledge and application of a ‘Systems Engineering’ approach to design.
Ability to robustly plan, prioritise tasks and coordinate your own work.
* A sound understanding of mechanical principles and engineering judgement to make robust design decisions.
* Effective assessment and selection of appropriate methods to develop and demonstrate design intent.
* Show suitable verification and validation to prove your design.
* Ability to analyse and evaluate test results to drive design direction.
* Excellent communication, problem solving and analytical skills.
27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
Performance related bonus
Private medical insurance
Free on-site parking
Subsidised café and restaurants
Discounts on Dyson machines
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us