- Science and Research
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Dyson’s interest in researching and developing energy storage technologies started more than a decade ago, when it became apparent that the full potential of our DDM motors were starting to be held back by commercially available batteries. Fast-forward to 2021, and we now have over 100 scientists and engineers working on battery R&D across our labs in the UK, US and Singapore.
With multiple generations of Dyson battery technologies ranging from early research through the industrialisation phase, Dyson are recruiting a wide range of roles across their UK and Singapore labs to accelerate progress. These roles include materials scientists, electrochemists, cell design engineers, cell test technicians, cell assembly technicians, mechanical design engineers, manufacturing process development engineers and manufacturing technologists. We are recruiting at all levels of seniority up to senior technical leadership roles.
About the role
There is a requirement for a Lead Design Engineer to join the Energy Storage team, to develop the detailed specification of production equipment design required to progress technology established in research through to manufacture.
Whilst technical expertise is core to this role, the successful candidate will be expected to lead and develop a small team of design engineers. Due to the nature of research, the successful person will be comfortable with ambiguity and possess the ability to simplify complex challenges and convert these into practicable projects and deliverables.
Key Responsibilities of the role
- Production process development
- Generation of equipment and process specifications from stakeholder requirements
- Development of novel processes, equipment and fixtures to drive the design of pilot lines and production facilities
- Proactive risk assessment through thorough scrutiny of processes and equipment design
- Understanding of the wider implications of design decisions, balancing performance metrics, safety, cost, IP
- Detailing of parts and drawings for communication with downstream teams and external partners
- Communication of design decisions, prototyping and test results to team and senior management
- Production process improvement
- Rapid process development through smart experiment design
- Calibration of equipment and assessment of parts using a range of measurement techniques
- Maximise process control through statistical analysis of processes and fixture design
- Effective and efficient problem solving
- Intellectual Property (IP) Generation
- Generation of ideas to create IP, in order to maintain and enhance the competitive advantage our technology gives us
- Regular communication with IP team to identify promising avenues for development
- Responsibility for developing mechanical systems and processes that comply with external and internal Dyson safety standards
- Contribution to a safe working environment through risk assessment
- Contribution to FMEA / dFMEA to continuously improve safety and reliability of our environment/processes
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Establish highly collaborative relationships with all teams that interact with the mechanical engineering team
- Continuous improvement of Dyson engineering practices, processes and environment
- Degree in a scientific or engineering discipline
- Strong technical/systems engineering
- Proven experience in an engineering environment, preferably downstream/manufacturing
- Excellent organisation skills, with the ability to effectively manage own time
- Creative solutions to technical problems
- Excellent NX CAD skills (or equivalent) and knowledge of drawing best-practice
- A practical and hands-on approach
- Ability to deal with dynamic environment where specifications may change frequently
- Highly motivated and driven
- Initiative - a self-starter who is able to change direction and scope, in alignment with strategic direction
- Confidence to influence senior leaders
- Pragmatic approach, instinctively making sound value judgments to get the required result
- Root cause analysis and problem-solving ability
- Proactively collaborates across teams and functions
- Commercial awareness
- Builds strong relationships - internally and externally
- Prior experience in downstream/manufacturing environments (including Design For Assembly)
- Prior experience in battery, photovoltaic/solar, semiconductor or electronics industries
- Prototyping & development of processes – metal-working, assembly, design (CAD), electronics
- Ability to understand overall concept and contribute to design generation through knowledge of the latest technologies and industry methods.
- Knowledge of materials and associated process tolerances
- Understanding of statistical analysis tools
- Prior experience of FEA software
- Use of Teamcenter to develop and track cell requirements and Bill of Materials (BOM)
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.