- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge - more categories, more locations and more people.
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas - unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Dyson create products which are different and better than the competition. These solutions are increasingly complex and require a system approach. We’re rapidly expanding our New Product Innovation team to help us manage that complexity and ultimately get our new ideas to market sooner.
About the role
As a Design Lead within New Product Innovation (NPI) you will be a crucial member of a dynamic team to help meet and exceed the requirements of our product strategy and embedded technology roadmap. You will be working closely with other NPI engineers, Research specialists and downstream RDD teams to create and develop new technology, product formats and business cases for projects in our portfolio. Typically, you will lead and/or own key-to-vision technologies and features on a project that drive new Dyson IP and strengthen our portfolio.
What we need you to do…
- You will be expected to initiate new product concepts and ideas and identify market opportunities from a blank sheet of paper.
- Be responsible for delivering key pieces of complex technology that help to define the specification of future products
- Produce working concepts for reviews with the use of handmade or prototype parts.
- Keep a Design Rationale document or similar up to date showing the detail design process of your designs with good technical justifications
- Produce mechanical designs across a range of device types and technologies to deliver our product performance specifications while considering cost, manufacturing and time delivery.
- Be responsible for 3D CAD and design requirements of electro-mechanical systems from concept, through evaluation to NPD delivery.
- Take an active role in defining design specifications for a given concept.
- Liaise and collaborate with the suppliers to develop innovative, robust and scalable technology platforms
- Use hand calculations and/or computer simulation to validate designs through the development process, backed up with lab-based testing / characterisation / validation.
- Analyse test results, summarise and communicate these with both technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve design quality.
- Define plans, monitor progress and report to management on technical risks.
- Take an active, hands-on role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly.
- Own/contribute to team/department level initiatives & change projects.
- Demonstrate a well-rounded mix of experimental, theoretical and design skills. Aptitude in hands-on prototype lab work, including test and build.
- Mentor and coach team members, championing best practice.
- Collaborate with different teams across multiple geographical locations and time zones.
- A degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline or equivalent
- Sound understanding of basic electro-mechanical/product design principles and the development of products and technologies through prototyping and testing .
- Strong CAD skills, ideally with Siemens NX, with experience leading design reviews.
- An understanding of systems engineering an advantage.
- A working understanding of software and electronics; experience in collaborating with experts in these fields to realise product vision.
- Experience of attribute engineering and user centred design requirements an advantage.
- Proven ability to communicate through a variety of media
- Technical and personal credibility to work effectively in cross-functional design teams throughout the project development cycle.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of multiple tooling and manufacturing techniques.
- Proven experience of delivering creative design solutions that improve upon existing product designs - examples of existing patent generation desirable.
- A creative and considered approach to problem solving, following clear design processes.
- Desire to develop their design and development skill.
- Practical and methodical design development through hands on rig building, prototyping and testing.
- Ability to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and coordinate with the work of others.
- Good commercial awareness with pragmatic approach to balance cost and value
- Team player & self-starter, strong communicator at all levels.
- Performance related bonus.
- Company paid Life Insurance.
- Discounts on Dyson machines.
- On-site gym and sport centre.
- Competitive pension scheme.
- Flexible benefits program with a growing range of voluntary benefits, including the option to purchase additional holidays.
- 27 days holiday plus statutory public holidays.
- Free bus travel to and from Malmesbury campus from Bristol, Chippenham, and Swindon.
- Free on-site parking.
- Subsidized café providing endless free coffee and tea, and a free lunch.
- Private Medical insurance for all employees.
- Employee Assistance Program for employees and dependents.
- Digital GP and prescription service.
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.