- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. By working in our world-class research, design and development (RDD) department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
About the role
The Lead Electronics Diagnostics Engineer is responsible for the early bring-up and test of new PCBA designs across all of Dyson’s range of consumer appliance products. You will work closely with the Electronics Design & Integration teams, Embedded SW teams and Manufacturing Test teams to support initial bring-up and testing of new PCBAs. You will be responsible for writing early bring-up and test code for new microcontroller PCBAs and developing bespoke test interface PCBAs as necessary. The role would therefore suit an Electronics Engineer or Embedded Software Engineer with a strong interest in embedded software development, coupled with good electronic circuit and PCB design skills.
While the role will be based at Dyson’s Malmesbury Campus, you may also work at our Hullavington site for some projects. Some travel may also be involved, depending on projects, to liaise with the engineering teams at Dyson’s Singapore, Malaysia and Philippines design centres.
- Development of diagnostic test SW for new microcontroller PCBAs in Dyson products across all product categories.
- Design of bespoke test interface boards and interconnect.
- Supporting the HW Integration engineers to perform test and debug of new designs.
- Supporting evaluation of EMC performance at early prototype design stages.
- Liaising with Manufacturing Test and the Embedded SW teams on development of PCBA and product EOL test systems.
- Collaborating with colleagues in the UK and Southeast Asia HW Design teams on new product developments.
- Providing team and/or technology leadership for new product development.
- Pro-active adoption and championing of high-quality engineering practices within the Dyson development framework.
As a Lead Diagnostics Engineer you will be experienced in the development of electronics design for commercial products across the engineering development lifecycle. You will have strong skills in embedded SW development, along with experience of PCBA design. You will be capable of working to generate high quality design solutions and provide oversight of more junior engineering staff. Preferably you will have some experience of design for consumer products.
- Degree qualified in a relevant electronics discipline.
- Experience of coding for embedded microprocessors, for RTOS and/or embedded Linux systems.
- Preferably some experience of electronics development for commercial products.
- Preferably experience in a team or technology leadership role.
- Experience working in a fast-paced engineering environment to meet tight timing deadlines.
- Methodical, organised approach with attention to detail & accuracy.
- Self-motivated, with a strong focus on results.
- Ability to work independently or as a team leader or team member.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Performance related bonus
- Company paid Life Insurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Competitive pension scheme
- Flexible benefits programme with a growing range of voluntary benefits, including the ability to purchase additional holidays
- 27 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays
- Free bus travel to and from Malmesbury campus from Bristol, Chippenham and Swindon
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café providing endless free coffee and tea, and a free lunch
- Private Medical insurance for all employees
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
- Digital GP and prescription service
- On-site gym
- Electrical vehicle lease scheme options
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.