- Design and Development
- Singapore - Advanced Manufacturing
Being a pivotal role in the concept to production of a Dyson Designed Cell puts the Development team at the heart of this exciting journey. The Team will translate early concept directions into fully developed, optimised & validated solutions to make at high volume for the next generation of Dyson products.
About the role
Development of novel Cell technology comes with new and highly challenging manufacturing processes. This role encompasses processes required to progress technology established in research through to scaled manufacture. Being the junction point for the cell technology and the manufacturing requirements to deliver a solution to meet aspirations of both.
A successful candidate will deliver solutions to difficult object problems where design and development of novel cell manufacturing processes are required; along with proven track records working with cross functional teams from proof of concept to high volume manufacturing.
Reporting to the Senior Engineering Manager, the role will encompass Innovative Cell manufacturing process design, Inter-team co-ordination, Project management and Technical communications. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team and have the opportunity to develop capabilities across a range of materials processing, cell assembly
- Be the driver of novel process design ensuring the technical requirements are met for Form, Fit & Function from a process perspective – construct design requirements and develop to resolution to ensure a smooth transition to equipment & production teams
- Contribute to the development and optimisation of innovative new technologies that can be incorporated into clear manufacturing process and equipment needs to give a performance, cost, productivity or environmental advantage
- You will be the application subject matter expert and primary point of contact for the responsible processes, working alongside research and manufacturing teams. This will be enhanced through frequent and effective engagement & communication with the energy storage cross functional teams
- Conduct proof of concept evaluation and design of experiments during development, establish baseline process and metrics
- Characterise new and existing processes, establish process margins and controls for critical parameters to improve process robustness
- Play an active role in supporting the understanding of future Dyson cell requirements, working with the research teams to drive new specifications and further enhance the next generation of Dyson’s battery technology
- Support the design and operational management to identify balanced solutions and opportunities to meet overall project objectives
- Build relationships with internal departments, external regulators, industry bodies within Energy Storage
- Exhibit clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation to ensure accurate hand over to cross functional teams
- Be vocal a participant, influencer and presence for Cell Process Development
- Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve efficiency
- Excellent relationship building skills with the ability to build a network of connections both upstream and downstream within Dyson
- Ability to work sensitively, discretely, and effectively across Dyson.
- 5 - 8+ years’ experience of leading technical matters within process development of new and novel technologies
- Relevant hands-on experience and background within process design and development of novel technologies in battery, electronics industries
- Good knowledge in one or more of the following technologies used in slitting, lamination including heat sealing, adhesive sealing etc., roll-to-roll processes, and continuous motion automation
- Ability to apply engineering fundamentals and towards manufacturing process development – demonstrated understanding of how hardware and process interact with each other
- Ability to work with external suppliers, partners to identify, design and develop feasible manufacturing solutions from pilot run to mass production
- A broad understanding of material properties and manufacturing processes related to Cell engineering materials
- Excellent knowledge and practical experience in pFMEA, root cause analysis, design of experiments (DoE), statistical data analysis and interpretation of experimental data, including software used for analysis (JMP, Minitab etc.)
- Persistent approach to problem solving and an inquisitive nature – demonstrated experience of data driven root cause analysis
- Strong organisational skills with a methodical and detailed approach
- A good team player, highly motivated with can-do attitude
- Must demonstrate a passion for working for Dyson
- Appreciation of relevant Battery technology or battery products across the industry
- Broad experience in other processes such as mixing, extrusion, calendaring, formation etc. will be advantageous
- Good knowledge and experience with laser cutting
- Good knowledge and experience with vision systems for inspection and defect detection
- Experience in process development and process transfer from lab scale to pilot scale, and to high volume production
- Ability to communicate at all levels of the organisation
- When required, travel to other Dyson facilities in Asia/UK for project engineering build support
Qualifications / Professional Memberships:
- Educated to Degree/Master’s level (scientific/engineering based)
Dyson Singapore monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.