- Hullavington - United Kingdom
Our Robotics team are leading the field in sensory and perception technology. Enabling us to design and build machines that are increasingly intelligent and operate autonomously – something our owners now expect as homes are getting smarter.
About the roleWe are looking for an experienced software platform engineer to join our ambitious and expanding team that delivers challenging products in consumer robotics. Working in an agile cross-functional team, the successful candidate will contribute to the delivery of robotics platforms to ensure Dyson continues to create innovative products that will delight our customers.
The role is to deliver robotics platforms to support the development of current and new robotics products. This will involve collaboration with other robotics software engineers, research engineers, mechanical engineers and hardware/sensor engineers to help solve the wide and exciting range of robotics challenges posed by the ever-expanding Dyson product portfolio.
The ideal candidate would have excellent knowledge and experience in developing and supporting multiple custom Linux distributions in Yocto. In addition, they would have a good understanding of current best practice in continuous integration and deployment. Proven development experience, ideally working within an agile environment, is essential as is the desire and passion to deliver new robotics products to the market. Successful candidates will be working in a supportive team of experts that is constantly striving to improve itself in the delivery of high quality, robust solutions to a diverse set of real world problems.
- Work within a cross-functional team to architect and deliver production quality platforms for mobile robotic products.
- Maintain and support development teams’ requirements for platform features and services.
- Participate in design and architecture of future platforms for robotics products.
- Collaboration with robotics engineers to understand platform requirements.
- Work within an Agile framework.
- Identify key risk areas of proposed solutions.
- Work with the architecture team to identify the feature and technology development roadmap.
- Awareness of platform security issues, hardening and consideration of CVEs
- Agree and document proposed solutions and their final implementation in order to support maintenance and future development.
- Guide and mentor fellow platform engineers
About youYou'll have:
- Experience with maintaining a custom Linux distribution using Yocto.
- Development of CI/CD pipeline to provide automatic build, testing and release of software.
- Experience of a Linux development environment.
- Basic understanding of electronics as applied to device drivers, e.g. I2C bus, power control, etc
- Experience of writing or porting a BSP to new hardware
- Familiarity with Linux scripting in BASH and Python
- Strong interest in the delivery of cutting-edge robotic products to consumer markets.
- Ability to work with interdisciplinary teams and provide technical support externally.
- Self-motivated and able to work within a team to deliver results within agreed timeframes.
- Ability to communicate complex information at all levels.
- Ability to plan and estimate development tasks (ideally within an Agile framework).
- Software development experience, preferably in C++.
- Experience with unit/acceptance testing and writing testable code.
- Knowledge of the Atlassian toolset.
- Experience of Docker containerisation
- Understanding of systems design and integration.
- Experience of writing Linux device drivers, kernel programming, or bootloaders
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.