- Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
About the role
Working as the materials point of contact within a wider technical support team, the new Materials Engineer will support our design teams during development of new products, ensuring they meet our high integrity and reliability standards and turn our next generation ideas into working products. This will involve providing materials selection guidance, testing and experimentation, support of new materials research and the creation of detailed materials documentation.
Accountabilities & Key responsibilities:
- Work with cross-functional teams in the UK NPD and the Far East, but also with teams in Research, NPI, and Procurement for all materials-related issues.
- Take an active role in continuous improvement, development of new materials and materials processes, to further enhance the capability of the team as a whole.
- Provide materials and design advice to the Design teams, based on design objectives such as mechanical robustness, thermal and chemical resistance, but also materials that benefit aesthetics and cost, by being actively engaged with all key stakeholders.
- Support the Sustainability vision and strategy of the company.
- Use of key materials knowledge, literature research and experiments to validate results and substantiate materials choices and present results as required.
- Document material selection criteria including those that meet compliance requirements and develop appropriate test methods.
- Work closely with Quality, Manufacturing and Product teams to support failure analysis and reliability issues.
- Mentor new members and Undergraduate Engineers.
About youQualifications, skills and behaviours:
- BSc or higher in Materials Science & Engineering or a related subject is essential.
- At least 5 years experience within a relevant materials role, preferably in R&D industry Environment
- Ability to manage their own time, manage multiple projects and prioritise activities according to project timelines.
- Sound knowledge of material properties with a preference to polymers and metal alloys.
- Experience with a range of characterisation techniques such as Tensile testing, FTIR, DSC, TGA, Wear/Tribology.
- Knowledge of failure mechanisms, basic mechanical principles such as fatigue, creep, thermal expansion and tribology but also processing methods such as injection moulding is desirable.
- Knowledge or experience working with sustainable/renewable materials and surface coatings is desirable.
- Ability to communicate effectively with Designers, Senior Management and Engineering teams in the UK and South East Asia.
- Creative and proactive approach to problem-solving skills, accompanied with an enthusiastic, self-motivated and collaborative nature.
- Coaching skills for the development of undergraduate engineers or new members of the team are desirable.
- Experience with a Materials Selection software and Minitab would be useful.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Lift share scheme
- Discount on Dyson machines
- private medical insurance
- free on-site parking
- private medical insurance
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.