Our global reputation is priceless and it always hangs on what we do next. Dyson is a unique technology enterprise. We pioneer. Our biggest category today didn’t even exist a few years ago. Our next biggest category? That could be where you come in.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We are proud to be authentic, different and pioneers. We are driven by a desire to solve real problems and improve everyday lives with intuitive solutions that do more but use less. Family owned, we are not restricted by conventional thinking; we explore, discover and learn for ourselves. Never satisfied, we believe everything can always be made better.
About the role
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Lead Mechanical Engineer with a broad mechanical and thermal skill set to join the rapidly growing Battery Pack team within the Technical Research department. The team are pioneering methods of integrating Dyson's own state-of-the-art cell technology, as well as delivering improvements to packs with commercial cells.
* Stretch the boundaries of power and energy density in our Battery Packs, whilst ensuring safety, robustness and reliability.
* Support the design of robust solutions and resolve technical challenges across multiple platforms and projects, whilst liaising with technical experts in Cell Design/Power Electronics/Product Design teams.
* Lead other specialist Mechanical and Thermal engineers, defining problem statements and understanding the verification tools used, including limitations.
* Characterise and drive down selection of solutions via the most effective means possible, starting with first principle calculations and working through to detailed simulation or test.
* Ability to identify technical risk, then reduce by owning and delivering FMEA and DVP.
* Create and drive development of technical requirements, including compliance with relevant International Standards
* Be a source of engineering expertise to advise on mechanical design, development, material, manufacturing limitations, prototype build and test issues.
* Create new, and improve upon existing, best practices and processes within the team
* Lead projects through Dyson’s technology readiness process.
* Review and approve work completed by others, and mentor others within the wider team
* Develop innovative and novel concepts with high value IP while considering freedom to operate
* Develop 3D CAD and engineering drawings - to BS8888 - for battery components and assemblies, along with test rigs and assembly fixtures.
* Degree in a relevant engineering or scientific discipline (2:1 degree or better)
* Experience of Power System design.
* You bring together mechanical, thermal, electrical and design for manufacture knowledge to form solutions, performing first principle hand calculations to provide initial design direction and confidence in simulation results
* Capable of approaching unique and complex technical challenges, finding and defending a clear route through the problem. Knowing when to focus on the details and when to stay at a high level.
* Ability to conduct and coordinate verification activities in the following areas: Static mechanical analysis, fatigue analysis, transient thermal FE & CFD, DoE, reduced order modelling, impact/shock/vibration testing.
* Expertise in some of the following areas: fracture mechanics, thermo-mechanical analysis, multi-scale-multi-domain modelling, electro-thermal FE, materials science, welding, data analysis, Matlab/Simulink.
* Understanding of physical failure methods and approaches to root cause analysis
* Understanding of design verification approaches and ability to define suitable test methods Working knowledge of GD&T principles
* Able to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal formats
* Able to progress tasks autonomously with little direction, multi-task, prioritise activities and plan work effectively to ensure project deadlines are met
* Competence with 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages, ideally Siemens NX
* Appreciable level of industrial experience in the design and development of Lithium ion Battery packs
* Knowledge of power system design, including motors, transmissions and energy storage solutions
* An appreciation of other engineering disciplines such as cell design, electrochemistry and power electronics.
* Experience using Siemens NX, ANSYS Workbench and Siemens Teamcenter
* Experience of manufacturing and assembly methods, including automation and simulation.
* Appreciation of statistics and robust design techniques
* Appreciation of systems engineering techniques
* Capable of performing tolerance stack analysis on complex assemblies
* Knowledge of compliance and electrical insulation scheme considerations, including creepage and clearance distances, flammability ratings etc
* Practical skills relating to prototyping, assembling and fixturing
* 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
* Pension scheme
* Performance related bonus
* Private medical insurance
* Life assurance
* Sport centre
* Free on-site parking
* Subsidised café and restaurants
* Discounts on Dyson machines
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us