- Science and Research
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
At Dyson we’re obsessed with continuously making things better, pushing the boundaries of what others have defined as impossible. We are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
We are looking for Lead Mechanical / Lead Mechanical Design Engineers to work within our Mechanical design team to develop innovative, high performance motor technologies that meet or exceed our aspirations, enhancing the company’s technical advantage in its new products.
Our Engineers are part of a global team that develop technology from research concept stage through to production; the latter of this process is in collaboration with our teams in Singapore & the Philippines with the opportunity to travel if desired.
We are looking for a talented Lead Mechanical Engineer to join our Technology Development team, to support the development of the next generation of Dyson designed, digital motors.
Working as part of a global team you will be responsible for delivering parts, assemblies, and systems from defined concepts to production feasible solutions, leading other engineering colleagues as required to achieve goals in a time sensitive environment. You will use a mixture of test, simulation, and engineering judgement to solve the problems that arise as we develop our technologies and products. You will work from the very early stages of a project, taking responsibility of development when the technologies leave the research stage, developing them to a feasible solution and then supporting our SEA counterparts to take the design through to production.
About the role
- Be responsible for delivering parts, assemblies, and systems from defined concepts to production. Lead other engineering colleagues as required to support this.
- Own engineering development plans and progress for both your work and for those you lead, report to technical management on risks, timescales, and technical issues.
- Deliver designs that meet specification requirements and that are refined for low-cost, high-volume manufacturing.
- Optimise & validate mechanical designs using appropriate modelling, simulation, and analysis tools.
- Peer review and approve work completed by others.
- Use experimental validation and other relevant analysis methods to validate our understanding & solutions.
- Demonstrate system level leadership to optimise product performance and solve complex engineering problems.
- Demonstrate a mind-set of continuous improvement to challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices.
- Demonstrate clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation.
- Collaborate with the wider Dyson engineering teams both in the UK and in Asia.
- Around 5+ years’ experience with demonstrable ownership of problem identification and resolution.
- A creative and agile mind, and a desire to enhance your design and development skills in a fast-paced environment.
- An ability to demonstrate a good understanding of the fundamentals of mechanics.
- An awareness of the application of electronics and their interfaces.
- A broad understanding of material properties and manufacturing processes related to common engineering materials.
- An ability to demonstrate a thorough approach to reasoning and problem solving
- A degree in Mechanical Engineering, BEng Hons. or BSc Mechanical Design (or equivalent)
- An ability to work in both a cross-functional team environment and independently and demonstrate strong motivation to get the job done.
- Persistent approach to problem solving and an inquisitive ‘hands on’ approach.
- Be flexible and responsive in a dynamic environment.
- Experience in either generating or interpreting engineering drawings
- Industrial experience in the field of mechanical engineering.
- A good analytical ability and attention to detail.
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively in an often high-pressure, competitive environment.
- Appreciation of relevant motor technology or rotating machinery
- Experience in the use of static and transient mechanical FEA, preferably using Ansys.
- Experience in laboratory-based testing and validation of materials and sub-systems.
- Appreciation of the fundamentals of rotor dynamics.
- Appreciation of the fundamentals of aerodynamics.
- Knowledge and understanding of manufacturing techniques and limitations.
- Some exposure to definition and interpretation of geometric dimensioning & tolerancing (GD&T)
- As required, periodically travel internationally for project transfer/engineering build support.
- Performance related bonus
- Company paid Life Insurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Competitive pension scheme
- Flexible benefits programme with a growing range of voluntary benefits, including the ability to purchase additional holidays
- 27 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays
- Free bus travel to and from Malmesbury campus from Bristol, Chippenham and Swindon
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café providing endless free coffee and tea, and a free lunch
- Private Medical insurance for all employees
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
- Digital GP and prescription service
- On-site gym
- Electrical vehicle lease scheme options
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.