- Science and Research
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. By working in our world-class research, design and development (RDD) department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
About the role
Support the Motors & Power Systems Research Team in the evolution of new and existing products, specifically taking a leading role in the areas of mechanical vibration and integration of our high-speed electric motors. The Lead NVH Research Engineer will be expected to take a proactive approach in identifying and evaluating new technology opportunities across a spectrum of areas with a particular focus in the field of vibro-acoustics of high-speed turbomachinery. The role would entail developing new tools, and methods to enhance the performance, reliability and time to market of Dyson products.
- Play a key role in the design and optimisation of both the preliminary and the detailed stages of new motor systems focusing on achieving optimal sound quality of the integrated system.
- Develop new technologies and understanding in the vibro-acoustics of turbomachinery, generating high-value IP concepts enabling the next generation of motors.
- Develop and champion accurate, in-depth measurement techniques both within the research team and the wider Motors group.
- Analyse test results, summarise findings, and communicate to other members of RDD including senior managers and directors.
- Liaise with development teams to ensure effective transfer of technology into the future product range.
- Mentoring of junior engineers and external research projects in best practise in the area of vibro-acoustics, in both new product categories and next generation of DDM motors.
- A degree (2:1 or higher) in Mechanical Engineering, Acoustics, Physics or other relevant engineering discipline.
- An excellent working knowledge and experience in the design and integration of turbomachinery covering a broad aspect of disciplines (mechanical, aerodynamics, electric motor design/control).
- Expertise in the prediction of vibro-acoustics & structural dynamics using both analytical and simulation techniques (ANSYS and COMSOL preferred).
- Experience designing and carrying out high quality experimental validation programs covering modal analysis, operational deflection shapes, transfer path analysis and non-linear material modelling. (MATLAB and Siemens Test.Lab preferred).
- Methodical approach to analysing simulation and test data using advanced signal processing techniques (MATLAB preferred).
- Knowledge in the fundamentals of acoustics and source characterisation would be beneficial.
- Experience in mentoring fellow engineers in the best practises of experimentation and vibro-acoustics would be a clear advantage.
- Working knowledge of Siemens NX (or similar CAD packages) would be beneficial.
- The ability to take the lead position within the team on a given area with little direction, whilst maintaining a collaborative, mentoring position with fellow team members.
- Flexible and efficient approach to solve problems using the appropriate level of detail at each stage.
- Good analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
- Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values.
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment.
- Excellent team-working skills.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.