- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
As part of the Global Procurement team, the Lead Procurement Engineer will lead and drive Early Supplier Involvement (ESI) to support the New Product Development process; collaboratively working alongside our Research and NPI (New Product Innovation) Engineers on our new Technologies and Products, throughout the design phases to Volume Production and End of Life.
The Lead Procurement Engineer will be lead a team of procurement engineers as being the Technology/Commodity cost specialist strongly interfacing with Research, Design, Manufacturing, the suppliers and Commodity Management.
Provide Procurement expertise and technical input on Electronics/Electromechanics/Materials technologies, by liaising closely with Research and Design teams and the Commodity Management teams.
Input in to the development of requirements and specifications with Research, Design and Manufacturing through engagement with existing, and/or new suppliers to provide supplier feedback in to the design.
Research and identify potential new suppliers and/or work with Research, Design and Manufacturing to develop new capability within our existing Approved Vendor List (AVL)
Develop team strategies and apply good practice in supporting the product development process by providing procurement expertise and costing insights contributing to the development of products and specifications within Research, Design and Manufacturing
Develop and manage resource plans for team, and establish team knowledge and skill requirements
Support Research teams in supplier technology scouting as the commodity/technology Procurement expert.
Ensure protection of Dyson IP through implementation of Dyson NDA’s, Development Agreements and Statements of Work
Work with Commodity Managers to develop commodity/technology sourcing plans and select suppliers for technologies and bought out parts, utilising the AVL and aligning with Commodity strategies.
Contribute to the business Make verses Buy (MvB) process, as part of cross-functional teams to provide bought out part/and or material costs and other Procurement information to support the MvB decision.
Input in to the Bill of Materials (BOM) target cost setting processes and drive target cost achievement for relevant commodity/technology.
Identify and mitigate cost and supply chain risks and drive multi-sourcing in early stage design
Identify key cost drivers in relevant commodity/technology and carry out Linear Performance Pricing (LPP) to correlate price to performance and identify best value pricing.
Drive and report cost avoidance throughout the product development phase and cost savings during volume production.
Calculate and deliver should costs for technologies and bought out parts
Support Commodity Managers in delivery of Product Price Variance (PPV) and Material Price Variance (MPV) targets
Represent Procurement at cross-functional meetings, milestones and project/technology reviews.
The performance measures within the role are as follows:
Achievement of cost avoidance and target savings, demonstrating added value, through collaboration with Engineering, Manufacturing and suppliers.
Selection of capable suppliers based on Quality, Cost and Delivery metrics to meet technology/project requirements and timescales.
Procurement and Engineering experience
- Excellent knowledge of emerging/new technologies within the Electronics/ Electromechanics/ Materials industry
- MCIPS and Engineering degree (or equivalent) desirable
- Experience of New Product Development, project environments and milestone processes.
- Possess cost and value engineering (CVE) skills to contribute to increase the competiveness and profitability of our products.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of;
- Cost analysis, should cost calculations, target costing and Design to Value (DTV)
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of procurement and commodity management including;
- Global sourcing, particularly in low cost regions
- commercial negotiation, including contract negotiation
- Supplier assessment, supplier selection and supplier management
- Proven track record of stakeholder management on all hierarchy levels
- Excellent interpersonal, conflict solving, communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Ability to work in Global cross-functional teams to achieve business goals and objectives.
- Ability to build strong relationships both internally and externally.
- The ability to challenge the norm and look for new ways of doing things in a constructive way.
- Some Global travel may be required
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines