- Design and Development
- Singapore - Technology Centre
The HMI team sits within the wider Product Experience Design function with focus on the next generation of Dyson products, which means we need to think beyond todays needs and wants from our users. The type of technologies, platforms and interfaces to design for are ever changing, and it’s our responsibility is to research, explore and define innovative interactions between our machines and their users.
Our involvement, ownership and responsibility come at the very start of the design process meaning we work extremely close with a whole range of product design and engineering teams. This is to agree and validate our proposition, constant and iterative testing is required, from paper based initial thoughts, rapid digital based prototyping to fully integrated rigs. Our involvement with a project reduces past a certain milestone in the design process, however we remain as a stakeholder during its development into downstream/production teams. We are there to ensure that our vision and intent for the HMI is maintained throughout development and into production.
About the role
It’s an expectation of all designers within the team to communicate and showcase our designs and thought process to key stakeholders throughout the business. Whether it be peer to peer, design managers, heads of departments or James Dyson himself.
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants, not just those who have worked in the product design or creative industries. You should be able to demonstrate that you are able to meet some, or all, of the following requirements:
- Distilling initial research, insight and good design practice into product interactions and related user/business benefits.
- Identifying opportunities to address our users pain points and problems through well designed machine interactions and use of the latest technologies and platforms.
- Securing stakeholder buy-in and sign off for a validated HMI proposition (that can be delivered within the cost and time-frame parameters of the project).
- Working alongside visual, connected, product, engineering and software teams to ensure that the interaction design direction is in line with the proposed product experience.
- Understanding technical limitations and development constraints and knowing where to push vs. where to adapt solutions to be more pragmatic and deliverable.
- Working collaboratively with teams to prototype our intent, allowing for design validation before any handover to production.
- Work within an agile environment with multidisciplinary teams, knowing your role at each phase of the design & development process while taking part in design sprints.
- You will champion the product interaction design across a number of product categories and New Product Innovation at Dyson.
- Conduct or aid with usability testing throughout the design, sometimes creating UX documentation, trial plans, recommendations reports and prototypes.
- Effectively communicate design ideas using a variety of techniques, including product concepts, service models, user journeys, wireframes, lo-fi and hi-fidelity prototypes.
- Ensuring that we (HMI, connected and UI designers) all work together to create a seamless experience from all angles.
We’re keen to hear from a range of applicants who can demonstrate some, or all, of the following skills and experience:
- Experience in industrial, UX, interaction and/or digital user interface design.
- History of impacting shipping products with your work
- Solid IA, wireframing, prototyping and visual design skills
- The ability to lead/take part in brainstorming/ideation sessions and to explore multiple ways to solve a problem.
- Able to handle complex design problems and have a proven ability to create sophisticated and elegant solutions.
- A level of experience in leading and facilitating usability testing and evaluation.
- Ability to interpret and apply learnings from use-case studies, consumer research, marketing insights, etc.
- High levels of accuracy and attention to detail throughout the design process.
- The ability to think beyond what exists today - pushing the boundaries of products/experiences.
- Software Tools (preferable, not essential) – Sketch, Flinto, Figma, Proto.io, Framer, Invision, Axure.
- Hardware/software electronics experience (preferable, not essential) – Rapid electronics prototyping (Arduino, Raspberry Pi…).
- Degree in Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, HCI/HRI, Interaction Design or other field emphasising product interaction, or related work experience in UX design-related role.
- At least 7 years experience in a design-related role (UX, interaction design, product design) relating to at least one of the following: app design, IoT, SmartHome, wearables, VUI and service design.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task on multiple products and prioritise your time accordingly.
- Some experience at pitching ideas internally or externally to stakeholders
Dyson Singapore monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.#LI-DYSON
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.