- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge - more categories, more locations and more people.
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Dyson has a strong and influential Quality, Safety and Sustainability business function. The Safety team broadly divides into 2 streams; managing and driving safety on new projects in development and managing and driving resolution and learning from any safety-related issue that may occur in the field. This role is to strengthen the project safety team by leading safety requirements agreement and managing the process of successfully achieving these requirements on projects during the product development process
About the role
Reporting into the New Product Safety Senior Manager, this role primarily concerns bringing proven multiple-industry safety requirements setting and achievement management experience to Dyson to deploy onto exciting new products in development. The primary accountabilities are below:
- Manage process of defining, agreeing and setting safety requirements with multiple stakeholders across Research, Design and Development on multiple projects, and then manage the process of evaluating test results to demonstrate achievement of safety requirements and ultimately sign-off safety for production.
- Provide safety engineering expertise to steer the product development team
- Evaluate complex, unique or unusual products against requirements of the relevant Dyson standards.
- Own and ensure project safety risks are assessed adequately and mitigations are in place and verified when required.
- Support safety in product development decisions, monitor and report throughout the project life cycle
- Consult and advocate best practice through participation in safety risk assessment such as FMEA, Fault tree analysis and Hazard Identification.
- Pro-actively conduct technical research into industry specific safety guidelines or design practice.
- Independently manage multiple projects concurrently while ensuring compliance with all applicable safety requirements.
- Work alongside market safety teams to produce and maintain standardised reports, trackers and dashboards to communicate category status.
- Act as the category representative to co-ordinate required action dictated from the Product Safety Committee with associated development teams.
- A degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline with experience post- in an engineering role with ideally within a safety or reliability role.
- Demonstrable industrial experience in safety engineering/ product safety, and activities contributing to the production of safety cases and reports.
- Able to develop safety plans, FTA studies, develop safety requirement specifications, lead functional safety assessments, understanding of HAZID/HAZOP techniques, develop or check verification and validation test procedures.
- Demonstrate technical competency to review the work of others.
- Ability to change priorities quickly and deliver simultaneously across projects of different priorities and pace. Results driven.
- Excellent communication skills able to convey ideas simply to a diverse audience. A confident presenter of complex technical subject matter.
- An open and co-operative approach, empathetic of others with a pleasant and collaborative outlook. A team player.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.