- Quality and Reliability
- Johor Bahru - Malaysia
Dyson is currently looking for a Lead Quality Engineer to be based our Malaysia Development Centre in Senai, and reporting to the Senior Quality Manager in Singapore. The candidate should have core competencies in managing the Supply and Manufacturing Quality deliverables of Hair Care products.
In this varied role, interacting with multiple engineering disciplines and the wider business, the candidate will identify, manage and develop Dyson key suppliers to Quality & Performance by establishing alignment between Dyson requirements, supplier processes & capabilities and performance metrics. The role will also support Dyson interfacing teams and functions for NPI/D and all product categories using the supplier/s through to end of life.
About the role
- To identify process improvement opportunities within the Dyson supply chain. Working with the supplier/s to ensure the integrity and timely management of the suppliers out going quality and supporting data.
- Understand, establish and develop the supply capability ensuring alignment to Dyson manufacturing quality and performance requirements. Drive and coordinate the supplier/s to establish root cause and corrective actions (RCCA) to correct any process/ product failing resulting in maintained or improved quality performance.
- To identify, manage and develop Dyson key Contract Manufacturers (CM) by establishing alignment between Dyson requirements, supplier processes & capabilities and performance metrics.
- To engage Dyson cross teams and functions beginning from NPD/I (New Product Development/Introduction) phase for Hair Care products through and to product launch.
- Working with the supplier(s) to ensure that their process capability is established, agreed, understood and monitored.
- Collect and evaluate supplier quality data to identify process improvement opportunities within the supply chain.
- Ensure the Quality readiness of supplier(s) for NPI and SOP for all product categories.
- Working with the supplier(s) directly, create corrective action plans to address process failures.
- Review the manufacturing processes/yield, collaborate with suppliers on process improvement and value enhancement opportunities.
- Regularly communicate with Engineering, Manufacturing Quality, and Procurement internally to identify opportunities for quality and productivity improvement.
- Collect and maintain supplier performance metrics.
- Coordinate with Engineering, Manufacturing and Product Quality to ensure awareness to known purchased part or product quality issues.
- Coordinate with Engineering, Manufacturing and Product Quality to ensure that the supplier(s) capabilities are understood and any gaps in requirements are planned for closure.
- Ensure that alignment and agreement is reached between Supplier(s) Engineering and/or Manufacturing for Dyson drawing sign offs, taking in to account the supplier(s) capabilities to meet these requirements.
- Assist Procurement in conducting Supplier Audits, reviews assessments and categorizations of new and existing suppliers for selection and de-selection.
- Ensure that the Supplier(s) RCCA process meets minimum Dyson requirements and expectations.
- Participate in SEA Quality meetings and present quality status and issues of product or commodities.
- Investigate escalations of external quality issues that are believed to originate from part purchased or product driven and present status at SEA Quality meetings.
- Perform, lead or coordinate root cause analysis on part purchased or product quality issues and work issue through containment phase of corrective action process.
- Communicate and instruct supplier(s) on the use of a corrective action process and quality tools & techniques.
- Participate in the Corrective Action Review Board (CAR).
- Maintain supplier(s) performance and audit results.
- Identify re-occurring quality issues by supplier and maintain supplier quality scorecard.
- Recommend suppliers for qualification and / or disqualification based upon quality performance in conjunction with Procurement and Engineering.
- All Dyson products are manufactured according to the agreed work instructions, standards, processes, procedures, drawings and guidelines including rework.
- All equipment, jigs and fixtures are to specification, calibrated and used correctly.
- Production Direct Labor are trained to the required level for their assembly stations.
- Ensure the integrity of the production data from defined and agreed data collection points including IQC (Incoming Quality Control) to OBA (Out of Box Audit) and that these data are used to correct/optimize the line/s as part of a continuous improvement program.
- Readiness for new product line(s) is established and communicated throughout the NPD/I phases.
- Establish, monitor and communicate CM (Contract Manufacturer) performance, gaps and improvement against plans.
- Apply Lessons Learnt and continuous improvement throughout the CM base.
- Support the Product Quality Team in understanding the perceived quality and reliability of our products in-market, and the causes behind.
- Help to build a data-driven picture with which to provide compelling answers to queries from a variety of origins. Support the work of Engineering to improve current products and ensure new products are of the highest quality.
- Candidate must possess a Degree in Electronic / Electrical / Mechanical Engineering with minimum 5 years' experience in an engineering/quality capacity in a project management and manufacturing discipline in a regulated environment. Some experience in a design role will be an advantage.
- Strong technical background in accessing production readiness inclusive of assembly lines setup.
- Relevant experience in Quality management of SMT/PCBA manufacturing processes.
- Knowledge in heater/ cable/ charger/ Cordset/ Power Supply manufacturing processes will be an added advantage.
- Familiar with soldering materials, PCB, components, cable hardness testing & acceptance criteria.
- Knowledge with or certificate with SMT, IPC- A600, IPC-A610, IPC-A620 is a must.
- Quality management of products in various development phases.
- Good understanding of statistical methods, quality tools and methodologies. eg. 8D, 5 Whys, GR&R, SPC, DOE, FMEA, Control Plan, APQP, DMAIC etc…
- Demonstrate understanding in engineering specs for component or assembly sourcing.
- Issue Management - Able to successfully manage complex issues whilst under time and cost pressure, lead / coordinate cross-functional teams in delivering timely solutions adhering to clear processes.
- Project management experience, not just leading but delivering technology projects into production with high levels of success.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, catering for technical and non-technical audiences.
- Analytical and data driven with an ability to generate a concise argument to support their views.
- Motivated by driving continuous improvement programs and application of Lessons Learnt mindset.
- Ability to plan ahead and self-organise, prioritise tasks and coordinate with the work of others
- An understanding of basic electrical principles, basic electronics, some knowledge of manufacturing quality processes and knowledge of historical Dyson products are added advantages.
- Adaptability - Seek to stretch and enhance the role of Quality across Dyson cross functions. Supports others within the functions, users and suppliers so that maximum value is derived by all processes.
- Self motivated, independent, results-driven.
- Passion for delivering results and product quality.
- Process change / improvement skills are essential.
- Analytical and Attention to detail is a must.
BenefitsDyson Malaysia monitors the market to ensure we offer competitive salaries, management bonuses and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy generous leave and medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a career at Dyson. Leadership support and new opportunities abound, driven by regular dialogue and international training. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to progress, innovation and realising ambition.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.