- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
Dyson is growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
We start with an engineering mindset and different thinking, then continuously refine our ideas, unwilling to compromise until we’ve found a better way.
Dyson has a strong and influential Quality, Safety and Sustainability business function. Within Quality, the New Product Quality (NPQ) department collaborates with Design, Development, Operations, Procurement and Commercial in the UK and SEA to drive forward advances in both product reliability and product satisfaction on all projects across all categories before launch. This role is to strengthen the UK New Product Quality team working within NPQ product reliability delivering across multiple projects and suppliers pre-launch.
About the role
Reporting to the UK New Product Quality Senior Manager, this senior role is responsible for assuring product reliability targets are achieved across multiple projects and commodities within the Dyson development portfolio.
You will apply engineering and quality best practice both individually and through your team to ensure product reliability requirements are set and achieved. As a lead you will have a proven track record in championing, educating and acting as a skilled practitioner in the field of reliability engineering. Working in close collaboration with engineering and operations you will ensure the right design decisions related to quality are made through informed rationale and judgement.
The primary responsibilities are below:-
- Scope: Front end research through to requirements setting and initial prototype realisation.
- Lead a small team of NPQ engineers, build cross-functional collaboration, grow influence to ensure NPQ deliverables are achieved at milestone phases.
- Report NPQ status at project milestones across a range of development programs.
- Quality history: Manage collation of market knowledge, raise awareness and track adequacy of closure in future development programs. Embed continuous improvement and lessons to be learnt as standard practice.
- Systems engineering: Assure systems engineering activity to provide adequate functional decomposition, system context, physical architecture and related boundaries. Participate in process and method.
- Requirement identification: Participate in requirement generation and rationale creation. Guide and influence engineering requirements and specification to guarantee subsequent achievement.
- Technical risk management: Support and facilitate, robust and rigorous identification of technical risks. Assure adequacy of assessment coverage, mitigating action and influence design prevention strategies. Independently verify scoring and drive to acceptable outcome.
- Process risk management: Support and facilitate robust and rigorous identification of process risks. Assure adequacy of assessment coverage, mitigating action and influence risk prevention strategies. Independently verify scoring and drive to acceptable outcome.
- Engineering verification: Assure the development of robust test methodology. Champion best practice approaches such as the use of parameter diagram modelling in test definition.
- Supplier quality management: Manage, supporting where necessary, the evaluation and subsequent qualification of new suppliers. Implement capability enhancement where required proposing recommendations and action.
- Ways of working improvement: Collaborate with RDD and Operations to develop and implement strengthened ways of working to improve effectiveness of New Product Quality across complex electro-mechanical devices. For example, hardware and software system technical risk mitigation.
- Develop quality specialism and related knowledge at an individual and team level. Grow capability through continuous improvement activities such as the definition of library requirements, failure catalogues and foundation FMEA.
- Experience in a senior engineering or quality role with strong technical background in product development and/ or engineering quality gained from successfully leading teams delivering engineering projects from Design & Development to Operations.
- Knowledge and demonstrable experience of deploying critical-to-quality engineering tools including systems engineering, engineering requirements, technical and process risk management (e.g. DFMEA) and engineering verification method development and assurance.
- Knowledge and demonstrable experience of deploying critical-to-quality engineering + operations tools including process risk management (e.g. PFMEA), tolerance analysis, controlling variation of critical characteristics, improving process capability, control plans and achieving fully capable production sign off.
- Line Management – Leading others, setting objectives and growing individual capability to achieve outstanding results. A motivator with a high-performance mindset.
- Ability to influence, introducing enhanced ways of working to generate impactful change. We’re looking for candidates with demonstrable experience of creating, developing and leading outside of their direct line management responsibilities.
- Ability to demonstrate with experience/ examples some or all of the desired leadership behaviours below:
- Delivery focused
- Process orientated
- Enthusiastic collaborator
- Effective influencer
- People centric
- Excellent communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills are critical to the success of this role.
- Willingness to challenge the status quo and relentlessly drive continuous improvement.
- An open and co-operative approach, empathetic of others with a pleasant and collaborative outlook. A team player.
- Patient with a mentality that thrives in fluid, dynamic and often unstructured environments.
- Degree in a science, manufacturing or engineering discipline.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.