- Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
About the role
We are looking for a Lead Research Scientist to join a growing research team tasked with exploring new opportunities within the Personal Care category through application of their scientific and engineering expertise. The team’s principal objective is to develop fundamental understanding from both scientific and consumer perspectives, and conduct research that yields novel innovations and the subsequent development of disruptive and highly effective new products.
The current role requires a Research Scientist to lead the development and execution of ex vivo and in vitro scientific investigations relevant to new or existing personal care research projects. Requiring a deep understanding of most standard laboratory practices, this role would suit a skilled biological engineer or analytical scientist with hands-on expertise in the design, development, and execution of investigations that are robust and reproducible. In addition to technical excellence this role requires an independent, highly creative, and enthusiastic problem-solver, who is ideally knowledgeable about personal care-related topics.
Though the role is based in Malmesbury, UK, Dyson has a research function that spans the globe - to be successful the candidate will need to work closely with a range of teams and disciplines located in a variety of time zones. Maintaining effective working relationships independent of physical location will be essential and so strong communication and collaborative skills are required.
- Design, develop, and conduct detailed practical and theoretical investigations of new concepts using industry standard ex vivo and in vitro methods.
- Where required develop bespoke ex vivo techniques for visualising/measuring the impact of new concepts.
- Responsible for operating and maintaining specialized ex vivo and in vitro test equipment.
- Responsible for identifying and adhering to safe working practices relating to ex vivo test equipment and facilities.
- Produce high quality reports tailored for a variety of product development stakeholders.
- Identify potential research areas based on scientific insight.
- Identify and propose new equipment to support critical research areas.
- Progress projects using the Dyson research milestone process: Conduct and analyse investigations, document and report findings, communicate to key stakeholders, and handover to downstream teams.
- Present insights and results to senior stakeholders when required.
- Degree qualified in relevant scientific discipline (e.g. Biology, Molecular/Cell Biology, Bio-Engineering, or any related field)
- PhD is an advantage but not strictly necessary
- >5 years post-graduate working experience either in academia, industry, or industry-facing e.g. collaborations
- Significant experience with ex vivo tissue investigations.
- Experience of cosmetic-product development/testing/evaluation is highly desirable
- Experience using quantitative analysis techniques (e.g. fluorescent and confocal microscopes)
- Must be willing to work independently in the lab (rather than solely supervising a team of junior researchers)
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Evidence of project management, execution, and delivery
- Good communication and presentation skills. Able to translate and communicate complex technical ideas to wider team, managers and directors when required.
- Inquisitive and tenacious attitude.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Private Medical and Dental
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.