- Robotics, Software Engineering and Connectivity
- Hullavington - United Kingdom
About the roleWe are looking for an experienced development engineer to join our ambitious and expanding team that delivers challenging products in consumer robotics. Working in an agile cross-functional team, the successful candidate will contribute to the delivery of software and algorithmic solutions for robotics behaviours to ensure Dyson continues to create innovative products that will delight our customers.
The role will involve collaboration with other robotics software engineers, research engineers, mechanical engineers and hardware/sensor engineers to help solve the wide and exciting range of robotics challenges posed by the ever-expanding Dyson product portfolio.
The ideal candidate would have good knowledge and experience in either robotics algorithms or software development in C++. Some experience in both areas is preferred but not required, however the desire to develop both skill sets is essential. Proven development experience, ideally working within an agile environment, is essential as is the desire and passion to deliver new robotics products to the market. Successful candidates will be working in a supportive team of experts that is constantly striving to improve itself in the delivery of high quality, robust solutions to a diverse set of real world problems.
- Work within a cross-functional team of robotics engineers to deliver production quality software and algorithms for mobile robotic products.
- Design and implement testing and validation strategies for mobile robotic products including unit tests, simulation, lab and home environment testing.
- Analyse and assess the performance of robotics platforms and behaviours in both laboratory and home environments.
- Development of offline test, visualisation and simulation tools.
- Lead robotics investigation spikes to understand possible improvements to algorithmic and software solutions.
- Identify key risk areas of proposed solutions.
- Work with the system architects to identify the feature and technology development roadmap.
- Agree and document proposed solutions and their final implementation in order to support maintenance and future development.
- Guide and mentor fellow robotics engineers
- Software development experience, preferably in C++.
- Strong interest in the delivery of cutting-edge robotic products to consumer markets.
- Ability to create and assess robust solutions to robotics problems.
- Ability to realistically estimate work packages and collaborate with stakeholders to deliver an appropriate solution in line with business constraints.
- Ability to summarise complex information appropriately to different stakeholders.
- Strong mathematical modelling and analytical skills.
- Strong background in C++ in industry.
- Good experience of working within an Agile development environment.
- Experience in one or more of the following domains: Localisation, image processing, object detection/recognition, path planning, automatic control, robotics systems or machine learning.
- Higher Degree (or equivalent industrial experience) in Robotics or related disciplines.
- Experience with unit/acceptance testing and writing testable code.
- Command of advanced C++/programming techniques e.g. templates, concurrency.
- Experience of a Linux development environment.
- Use of Qt libraries.
- Some knowledge of Python, MATLAB/Octave.
- Mathematical/scientific background.
- Knowledge of Git and the Atlassian toolset.
- Understanding of systems design and integration.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.