- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
Overview – Role:
Dyson products are built to last, as well as perform. To do this we invest heavily in performance, quality, reliability and sustainability. Sustainability targets are underpinned by design decisions which is why we've introduced sustainability specific requirements for our products with product level requirements featuring on our products vision spec and on Teamcenter. All of these product requirements are assessed at every step along the milestone process.
In the Global Sustainability Team we need to be able to analyse data, relentlessly improving the sustainability credentials of our products. Each generation of Dyson technology must set the sustainability benchmark for the next. The Lead Sustainability Engineer role is specific to managing and governing the process of implementation of sustainability requirements whilst also reporting on performance against progress.
The Lead Sustainability Engineer role is also responsible for governing Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) across all of Dyson’s product categories. Project scope will involve collaborating with categories, functions and commodity groups, across global locations. You will be consulted on current products and future concepts, to guide vision specifications and strategies towards reducing Dyson’s global environmental and social footprint. spanning the operations, manufacturing, engineering and commercial functions.
You will be an internal and external advocate, supporting Dyson’s ambitious environmental and social stewardship goals.
- Working closely with the leadership team you will drive our product improvement strategy for sustainability, throughout the product development journey.
- Develop policies, guidelines and the sustainability governance structure needed.
- Create and/or develop tools to facilitate life cycle based decisions.
- Working closely with key stakeholders across the business, you will be responsible for managing the life cycle assessment (LCA) process at Dyson.
- Build relationships with external industry bodies.
- Utilise and promote life cycle assessment (LCA) to generate quantified targets for future sustainability improvement plans and KPI’s.
- Contribute to the product sustainability roadmap, identifying priority products/components/materials and setting appropriate data driven targets for future LCA improvements.
- Lead global environmental management information connected to the full product life cycle.
- Evolve the information database, using Dyson learnt data when available, for continuous improvement on the underpinning LCA assumptions and subsequent model integrity.
- Ability to use analysis and management skills in innovative ways and remain flexible as the role develops. Identify interdependencies between functions and facilitate cooperative working, taking an active, hands-on approach to drive the identification and resolution of problems.
- Contribute to the direction of global, cross functional teams to ensure communication and collaboration; resolve conflicts and lead solutions.
- Challenge concepts and approaches in order to achieve the optimum programs within the boundaries of time, specification and cost.
- Support Sustainability data/information management across the business.
- Demonstrate flexibility in approach and maintain a proactive can-do attitude, working towards the success of the whole Dyson team and not just the functional area.
- Be an ambassador, vocal advocate, influencer and presence for Sustainability.
- Excellent relationship building skills with the ability to build a network of connections both internally and externally.
- Ability to work sensitively, discretely, and effectively across Dyson.
Experience / Requirements:
- Practical knowledge of Teamcentre.
- Sound understanding of fundamental engineering and scientific principles.
- Ability to promote sustainable thinking at design level.
- Ideally 2+ years’ experience of life cycle assessment capabilities (preferably consumer electronics)
- Ideally the ability to use GaBi LCA software.
- Ideally an understanding of the relevant LCA methodologies and standards (e.g. ISO 14040/44, ISO 14020/25, EN15804 etc) needed to develop an LCA, EPD, Carbon Footprint, PCR or Comparative LCA Study.
- Project management skills; ability to plan, prioritise and manage multiple projects at once, whilst tracking and reporting progress, risks & issues.
- Strong communicator; ability to listen and convey complex issues concisely and accurately, ability to coach others, potentially running internal training sessions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to build productive working relationships and influence others.
- Excellent analytical skills; the ability to assess problems thoroughly and drive logical conclusions
- Energy, enthusiasm, curiosity, common sense and no embarrassment in asking supposedly “silly” questions.
- Confident; comfortable interacting with senior executives without diluting unpleasant news or well-reasoned analysis.
- Assertive; readiness to challenge teams to take remedial action when required.
- Credible; ability to demonstrate understanding of engineering/operational processes in order to work with design teams throughout the project development cycle.
- Shrewd: The ability to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in a fast-paced and often high-pressure, competitive environment.
Qualifications / Professional Memberships:
- Educated to degree level (scientific/engineering/sustainability based) or can demonstrate equivalent experience.
- Experience of managing small to medium projects, and/or supporting larger, more complex projects.
- Demonstrable continuing professional development.
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.