- Science and Research
- United Kingdom - Hullavington Office
About the team
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
Within Upstream Robotics, you will be working within a fast paced and exciting field with a dedicated inspiring workspace in a converted aircraft Hangar at Hullavington; focussed on developing products depending on advanced robotics and artificial intelligence technologies.
Across Upstream Robotics you will be a crucial member of a dynamic team to help specify requirements for and develop core technologies for our future products and embedded technologies.
You will be working closely with other engineers, designers, scientists, specialists, downstream teams and other cross functional teams to create and develop new technology, product formats and business cases for projects in our portfolio.
About the role
- Work at the core of our future robotics systems engineering team using systems engineering tools and methods to bring clarity from ambiguity.
- Help define our product vision into clear and concise user, business and product requirements.
- Use MBSE methods (where appropriate) to develop architectures for our products and safety systems. Decomposing the problem into digestible functional, physical and behavioural chunks.
- Develop power/coverage/timing performance models and more to inform trade studies where conflicting product level requirements exist.
- Validate requirements using simulation and real-world demonstrations, where appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with all our Robotics Research, New Project Innovation (NPI) and New Product Development (NPD) engineering teams to scope-out and lead systems and safety work packages, lead trade studies and resolve engineering issues.
- Actively identify and manage technical and programme risks – negotiating priority work packages with project leadership, specialists, and cross-functional teams.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of our systems engineering capability including methods, tools and training material.
What we'd like from you:
- Operate effectively on ambiguous early stage process.
- Challenge convention - don’t blindly follow process; change direction and find novel ways of working to make sure you’re always adding real value.
- Be inquisitive - always ask ‘why?’, seek to understand the underlying principles behind all engineering problems, strive to broaden your skillset.
- Influence - you’ll need to be able to convince stakeholders at all levels of the business.
- Communicate - be able to articulate complex ideas and concepts verbally or in writing to anyone.
- Collaborate - actively build relationships across functional divides.
- Facilitate lessons learned between upstream and downstream teams.
- 5+years of experience in requirements engineering and system architecture.
- Ideally, relevant experience in a product development environment performing similar roles.
- Hands-on experience using modelling and simulation tools such Simscape, Simulink, pyBullet and Gazebo.
- Ideally, some relevant experience of using the Arcadia methodology or experience in building functional, logical, physical architectural models with other methods or notations.
- A good engineering degree (or equivalent) in a related discipline.
Performance related bonus
Company paid Life Assurance
Discounts on Dyson machines
Competitive pension scheme
Purchase additional holidays
27 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays
Free bus travel to and from Malmesbury campus from Bristol, Chippenham and Swindon
Endless free coffee and tea, and a free lunch
Free on-site hair salon
On-site lifestyle Assist
Electric vehicle scheme
Private Medical insurance for all employees
Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
Digital GP and prescription service
Fertility treatment support
On-site gym and sports centre
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.