- United States - Chicago Office
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people. Dyson launched in the US in 2002, and since then operations have grown exponentially. Our US headquarters is based in Chicago's Fulton Market neighborhood. We also have employees working in field sales, our service centers, and in our growing number of Dyson Demo Store’s across the country.
About the role:
The Category Director, Hair Care, will manage the P&L for the category and marketing strategies. They will need to develop the category profitability and brand reputation, including both short and long term growth. In essence, they will be the CEO of their category.
They will need to maximize the sales potential and profitability of existing products as well as develop business plans and strategies for New Product Development in the category.
They will lead a cross functional team that launches Dyson’s newest and exciting technology and grows existing technology. They will develop the go-to-market strategy, working with the sales teams to set joint business plans with retailers. They will hone and localize our creative campaign, and our media strategy. They will work collaboratively with Group in Malmesbury on product pipeline and ranging requirements specific to the US market and retailer set.
Define the strategy and overall performance of the US Hair Care category-
- Increase top line growth, driving a healthy category P&L and increasing competitiveness for the category, which today includes hair dryers, stylers and tools
- Develop the 3-5 year market vision and strategy for growth across the category - for existing and new products, unlocking potential of sales channels, marketing opportunities and media channels.
- Own the category P&L, sharing responsibility for its performance with Leadership Team peers (Sales, Channel, Marketing, Supply, Finance and Direct)
- Lead all aspects of budgeting, forecasting and demand planning for the category, working closely with UK commercial team peers.
- Ensure monthly and yearly volume, net revenue and margin targets are met, closely monitoring the P&L and owning the Financial LE and production forecast for the category.
- Develop, communicate and gain buy-in for the category strategy from stakeholders across the business (both Group and US), and ensure progress against the plan is well communicated.
- Set the media strategy, channel plan, monitor budget and review ROI of media spend, working closely with Mindshare and Digital team.
- Own the commercial strategy for the category-
- Be the in-market category advocate, continuously championing its value and commercial potential for the market and wide Dyson business; developing the ambition, energy, ideas and tools needed by the market’s marketing and sales teams to reach the best possible commercial outcomes from the product set.
- Collaborate with peers and colleagues across the market team (retailer sales, direct sales, finance and marketing) to maximize the impact the category/ product has on consumers and retailers.
Maximize the sales potential and profitability of existing products-
- Develop a deep understanding of the territory’s retailer opportunity.
- Analyze in-life product and campaign performance and implications for growth strategies, continuously optimizing as required.
- Open new business opportunities by taking a business development approach (directly leading business development managers), where applicable by category.
- Develop business plans and marketing strategies for category NPD-
- Drive regional commercial product/category strategy and launch plans in collaboration with group direction, but giving local direction. Clarify the approach to maximize own market’s opportunity within the context of global plans.
- Ensure new products are launched successfully through effective leadership across local market; manage teams to milestones and plans.
- Work with and challenge in-house digital team, direct team and media agency to maximize media presence, awareness, conversion and recommendation.
- Prove the effectiveness of all activity; track, measure and amend where necessary
- Constantly monitor competitors; remain ready to quickly understand the implications of their activities and respond quickly, in the correct manner for the brand.
- Collaborate as a member of the virtual global Dyson category and commercial teams-
- Collaborate with the relevant Group Category Director and other key global leaders (e.g. Global Director of Digital & Owner Experience, Global Retail & Events Director)
- Provide feedback and insight to key Group leaders and heads of Category in other markets
- Participate in building Dyson’s understanding of commercial category opportunity.
Lead and develop a high performing team-
- Inspire, lead and motivate team through regular feedback, 1:1s, Personal Development Plans, objectives and career conversations
- Build a team with clear succession routes, not just within the category teams, but through the wider business. Know who will succeed you, when and who will succeed them.
- Manage processes and priorities, to ensure that the team is as effective as possible to meet business goals
- Identify gaps in knowledge and skills in the team and build appropriate development solutions
Fulfill other duties as required-
- Pick up new activities that fall broadly in the purpose of the role
- Fix things that you can see need fixing
- Identify problems and find solutions
- Bachelor’s Degree required; preferably in Marketing, Advertising or Business Administration. MBA preferred.
- 10+ years strategic brand marketing/ management experience required, at least 2 of which must be in a manager level role leading a high performing team; evidence of consistent progression in responsibility required.
- A CPG background is strongly preferred but would be open to non-traditional CPG experience such as electronics, beauty, lifestyle marketing experience, specifically with an understanding of the premium / luxury market.
- Experience managing P&L, media and budget required
- A track record of career progression/advancement within a marketing organization
- First-hand experience of retailer engagement and developing exciting in-store experiences
- Experience with working with media planning and buying agency strongly preferred media
- Strategic thinking; this person must demonstrate the ability to take a wide view. Must be able to create, execute and manage a sound marketing plan.
- Influencing skills; this person will have the ability to lead cross functionally and influence up, down and across the business.
- Problem Solving; must be able to critically analyze data and tackle problems and present viable solutions.
- Team player; able to manage and motivate people, this person is able to build strong relationships with a wide range of people (across all Dyson markets). This person works cooperatively across the business and puts the good of the business above their own career interests.
- Strong communication skills; this person is able to present information (both written and oral) clearly and concisely. This person needs to be able to communicate clearly at all levels within an organization.
- Creativity; this person needs to guide and challenge a team responsible for managing a dynamic brand. They need to be open to new ideas, adventurous and practical simultaneously.
- Flexibility; this person will need to adaptable, be open to taking on more and have the ability to adapt plans and direction as the business indicates.
- Dynamic, and proactive personality with the ability to perform impactful presentations
- Solid analytic abilities. Proven expertise in problem solving and multiple project management
- Good organization and prioritization skills required
- Strong PC skills in Word, Excel and Power Point
At Dyson, how we reward you is linked to our high-performance culture. But it’s about more than salary and bonus. Through a package of financial, lifestyle and health benefits, we support whatever stage of life you’re in and the moments that matter.
- 401K with up to a 4% match
- Company paid Life Insurance and AD&D
- Flexible Savings Account (FSA) and Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Competitive Paid Time Off Benefits including Separate Holiday, Sick, and Vacation Time
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefits (applicable areas only)
- Generous Child Care Leave Program
- Wellness Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Generous Dyson Product Discounts
- Multi-Level Healthcare Coverage Options
- Vision & Dental Coverage
- Company paid Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
Dyson is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live. If requested, we will provide reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process for persons with disabilities. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Dyson is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.