- Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Working as the materials point of contact within a wider technical support team, the new Materials Engineer will support our Design teams during the development of new products, ensuring they meet our high integrity and reliability standards and turn our next generation ideas into working products. This will involve providing materials selection guidance, testing and experimentation, support of new materials research and the creation of detailed materials documentation.
- Support of new product development by identifying and evaluating materials based on design objectives, such as strength, weight, heat resistance, chemical resistance but also materials that benefit aesthetics and cost.
- Communication with new and existing materials suppliers.
- Use of key materials knowledge, literature research and experiments to validate results and substantiate materials choices.
- Failure analysis and development of test methods.
- Documentation of material selection criteria including criteria to meet compliance requirements.
- Collaboration with colleagues in our Far East, Technology Research, Procurement and Creative functions for all materials-related issues.
- Pro-actively support critical reliability, manufacturing and product safety issues.
- A degree in Materials Science or a related subject is essential.
- Demonstrable experience within a relevant materials role, preferably in industry or in a research environment
- Sound knowledge of materials properties with a preference to polymers and metal alloys.
- Good knowledge of failure mechanisms, characterisation techniques and processing methods for common engineering materials.
- An understanding of basic mechanical principles such as fatigue, creep, thermal expansion and tribology.
- Knowledge or experience of paints and surface coatings is desirable.
- Ability to communicate results to designers, senior management and engineering teams in the UK and South East Asia
- Creative and methodical problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to build and maintain collaborative working relationships.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritise key activities according to project timescales.
Please note, this is not a graduate position.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines