- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge - more categories, more locations and more people.
About the role
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
We are looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer to join the New Product Innovation (NPI) team working on a range of exciting new products as part of a team of world class product designers.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
- As a Mechanical Design Engineer, you will work within the project team to support the exploration of new product concepts and ideas from a blank sheet of paper.
- You will take responsibility for component or assembly solutions which demonstrate function, performance and cost, under the guidance of the project leadership.
- Within project teams, you will take a proactive approach in the generation of ideas - participating in brainstorms, gathering research, presenting ideas and concepts to the project leadership.
- You will champion great design to produce solutions that meet all performance and functional criteria.
- You will work collaboratively with other teams to utilise the wealth of technical skills to further the design and progress your own development.
- You will take an active, hands-on role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly.
- With the guidance of the project leadership team, you will use established Dyson development processes, good engineering practice and discipline to support delivery to the development team for rapid progression to market.
- You will contribute to regular design reviews with the Project Leadership and Head of NPI
- You will have the opportunity to participate in Design reviews with James Dyson and/or Executive
- A degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline or equivalent.
- Previous relevant experience of product design or mechanical engineering.
- A good balance of practical and theoretical skills; calculations from first principles; prototype rig building and establishing test methods to analyse the design.
- Experience in mechanical assembly and part design essential; electromechanical design an advantage.
- Good communications skills. Able to reduce complex work into clear and concise presentations for key decision making.
- Some experience in CAE as part of the design process an advantage.
- Strong CAD skills essential; preferably within NX.
- A creative and considered approach to problem solving, adhering to clear design processes.
- Technical and personal credibility to work effectively with other teams in RDD.
- Ability to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and coordinate with the work of others.
- Self-starter - ability to work independently and driven to deliver to challenging schedules.
- Experience in the full design cycle, from concept to production including DFM and robust design an advantage.
- Experience in thermal comfort, thermodynamics, air quality or fluid mechanics an advantage.
- Cost engineering experience and advantage.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.