- Motors and Power Systems
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Within Dyson Research we define what’s next. At the very start of the new product ideas chain lays the technologies that enable them. Dyson Research delivers the long term support to the global company growth through technology innovation in our state of the art Wiltshire campus. Our New Product Innovation team relies on the development of key technologies for new innovative products, after which the New Product Development team carries them through to manufacturing; Dyson Research not only delivers the birth of new technologies but also supports those technologies through to their realisation and integration within a product.
About the roleDyson offers an exciting opportunity for talented individuals for a permanent Motor Drives Engineer position based in its Research, Design and Development (RDD) Centre in Malmesbury, U.K. as part of the dynamic global team working on the Dyson Digital Motor.
This role will involve the research and development of novel high performance electric motor topologies, assembly methods and control strategies for low cost/high volume domestic and commercial appliances.
You will be based in Malmesbury joining the Dyson Digital Motor Drives (DDMD) team within the Dyson Global Electronics organisation. The DDMD team form part of the wider Motors and Power Systems Group and is a significant part of Dyson RDD with a growing team of more than 100 highly skilled engineers, scientists and technicians in its UK and Singapore offices. The Group focuses on researching and developing cutting-edge electric motors, drives and control systems for integration into existing and future Dyson products from concept design to fully automated production.
This is what we need you to do
- Research and develop novel high performance electric motor topologies, assembly methods and control systems.
- Use of 2D/3D static and transient electromagnetic Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to model detailed aspects of brushless motor designs.
- Develop and use dynamic system simulation tools (Matlab/Simulink, SimScape, MathCad, others) to:
- Accurately model motor and system performance
- Develop the motor controls to meet the target performance
- Optimise the electromagnetic design to meet product specific requirements, e.g. lowest cost/smallest and most efficient solution.
- Design control systems to achieve product targets, build appropriate models and prototypes to demonstrate function.
- Create new test methods and ensure designs are ready for deployment
- Analyse measurement data to spot problems, trends and perform root cause analysis
- Work with other Dyson motor drives, electronics and mechanical engineers from Malmesbury and Singapore to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, all within the planned timeline of the project.
About youThis is what we need you to have
- Working knowledge of the fundamentals of electromagnetic machine operation and an appreciation of machine design theory
- Practical and laboratory skills with confidence in the testing of motors and associated power systems.
- An understanding of system level simulation of motor drives (including electronics and software aspects of the drive) and the role of this in the integrated development of design and control
- An appreciation of motor control techniques for low and high speed, single-phase and multi-phase permanent magnet and switched reluctance motors.
- Be a creative thinker, highly self-motivated and self-reliant with enthusiasm for motors and power systems.
- Be flexible and open-minded to respond quickly to changes in project priorities and develop novel solutions. Be able to demonstrate sound theoretical knowledge, reasoning and problem solving skills in engineering.
- Be able to clearly report progress in meetings together with a high standard of documentation.
- A good first degree in an electrical/electronic engineering or equivalent preferably with a machines and drives bias
- We would prefer candidates had experience in at least one of the following:
- Use of 2D and 3D static and transient electromagnetic FEA software such as Infolytica’s MagNet or other industry standard packages.
- Matlab/Simulink simulation tools or similar
- Labview or similar test automation software and hardware
- Applied statistics, particularly measurement and data analysis
- For applicants from non-English speaking countries, proficiency in spoken and written English is mandatory.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.