- Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic, but most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. We are looking for individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research, Design and Development (RDD) centre, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to develop products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors. Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. However, financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound.
Part of Dyson’s Strategy & Research Group, the Motors and Power Systems (M&PS) Research Team is responsible for the research, design and prototyping of the next generation of Dyson Digital Motors powering innovative products in existing and new product categories. The multidisciplinary technical expertise of the team encompasses design, mechanical, thermal, aerodynamic, acoustic, electromagnetic and motor control engineering.
The work often involves design-cycles of 1-2 years targeting specific products, alongside short-term research and scoping studies. Technologies transfer to the downstream development teams once they reach suitable maturity.
About the roleDue to a significant expansion in headcount, an exciting opportunity has arisen for multiple Motor Drives Engineers with a range of experience to join the highly successful Motors and Power Systems Research Team. Due to the expansion roles are available from entry level engineer through senior engineer to lead. The successful applicant will be working on the electromagnetic or motor control design of the next generation of advanced, high performance Dyson Digital Motors (DDMs) for low cost / high volume domestic / commercial applications; based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, U.K. Exceptional candidates will show balanced strength in both areas and be able to contribute high quality work and leadership equally to each technical area.
Understanding and knowledge on both electromagnetic theory of electrical machines and motor control theory (including dynamic system simulation) are required with expertise in at least one of the two fields.
- Participate in, and depending on experience and the available role, lead, the design process of project specific single- and multi-phase electromagnetic motors and/or motor control solutions to meet requirements
- Understand the overall product concept and contribute to the design of the product through the use of expert knowledge of the latest technologies and methods in the industry
- Design and develop novel high performance, single- and multi-phase electric motor topologies and construction methods and/or motor control solutions that meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency. Exceptional applicants for lead engineer can expect to lead the team in both areas.
- Use of 2D/3D static and transient electromagnetic Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to model detailed aspects of brushless motor designs
- Develop and use dynamic power system simulation tools in MATLAB/Simulink environment to:
- Accurately model motor and drive performance
- Develop motor controls and control strategies to meet the target performance
- Optimise the motor and system design to meet product specific requirements, i.e. lowest cost, size and most efficient solution
- Test & verify new motor drive designs
- Generate innovative and novel solutions with strong / high value IP for Dyson products while considering freedom to operate
- Collaborate effectively with other Dyson motor drives, electronics, software, mechanical, thermal and aero-acoustics engineers from Malmesbury and Newcastle to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, all within the planned timeline of the project
- Communicate clearly and effectively the results and project status to a broad spectrum of associated project members and senior management
- Create and manage your own time (and the time of others – if applicable) in the team using planning tools such as Microsoft Project and make sure this is integrated to the overall project plan and managed by the Project Manager regularly and efficiently
- Be a source of electromagnetic and/or motor control engineering expertise to advise on design, development, material, manufacturing, verification and testing issues
- Create new, and improve upon existing, best practices and processes within the team
- In depth knowledge of electromagnetic machine design theory coupled with substantial experience in the use of 2D/3D static and transient electromagnetic FEA, preferably using Simcenter MAGNET
- In depth knowledge of system level dynamic simulation of motor drives (including electronics and software aspects of the drive), preferably using MATLAB/Simulink and its use in the development and optimisation of electromagnetic motor design and the motor controls.
- Experience in the design of permanent magnet motors, including knowledge of soft and hard magnetic materials and their use in electrical machines
- Appreciation of various motor control techniques for low and high speed, single-phase and multi-phase permanent magnet and switched reluctance motors
- Experience in testing and verification of electric motors, primarily permanent magnet and switched reluctance type
- Fundamental understanding of mechanical, aero-acoustic and thermal aspects of electrical motor design
- Appreciation of design-for-manufacture mentality and be able to consider the limitations of manufacturability early on in the design process
- Be creative to put expert knowledge in the field into tangible highly novel end products with strong performance improvements and Intellectual Property (IP) benefits
- Be able to demonstrate sound theoretical knowledge, reasoning and problem solving skills in engineering
- Be able to clearly report progress in regular update meetings together with a high standard of documentation
Desirable technical skills
- Advanced knowledge and experience of the coupled design of full motor-drive systems including electromagnetics, power electronic drives and their control.
- Ability to switch technical disciplines between electromagnetic analysis of a motor and design of its control system to optimise performance based on project type and stage of development.
- Knowledge of End-of-Line testing and tuning processes
- Knowledge of power electronics and energy storage solutions
- Knowledge of embedded electronics and SW in relation to motor control applications
- An appreciation of other engineering disciplines such aerodynamics, aero-acoustics and thermodynamics
- Experience using MathWorks Simscape and Stateflow to model physical systems and control logic
- Experience using Siemens Teamcenter to manage design and documentation workflows
- Understanding of materials science and manufacturing processes
Essential behavioural skills
- Excellent team working skills
- The ability to take the lead position within the team on a given area with little direction, whilst maintaining a collaborative, mentoring position with fellow team members
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritise tasks
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner
- Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
- Good analytical ability and attention to detail
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.