- Operational Engineering
- Philippines - Advanced Manufacturing Office
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We are growing fast, and our ambition is huge - more categories, more locations, and more people.
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas - unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
As part of a matrix RDD organisation, and within the Design Engineering function, Graphics and Packaging is large-scale team focussed on the design and development of customer facing graphics and packaging solutions for all Dyson products. Based in our development centres in Malaysia and Philippines, this international team provides the capability to pick up graphics and packing concepts from their UK based counterparts and develop these into designs that can be efficiently manufactured at scale.
About the role
The Dyson Packaging Engineer is responsible for delivering packaging solutions for Dyson's products and supporting the business in related tasks, which shall include, but is not limited to the following:
- Key strategic thinker with a clear understanding of how to develop and present effective product package to the relevant stakeholders.
- Working closely with Dyson NPI team, UK & Malaysia/Philippines packaging teams on new product packaging development. Support the development of the packaging vision, defining development budget and agreed target cost to kick-off the development activity.
Identify and evaluate new packaging materials, technologies, and concepts as well as emerging packaging trends.
- Design, develop and qualify new packages through various test methods to ensure packages meet higher reliability standards within agreed budget and deadline.
- Ensure Packaging formats are investigated and rationalized to ensure they are fit for purpose, meet sustainability targets and are suitable for our manufacturing processes.
- Generate and register packaging CAD drawings with full specification and requirements for execution.
- Contribute ideas and participate in finding solutions to resolve issues arising during development.
- Working closely with UK & Malaysia/Philippines packaging teams and various business functions to ensure packaging solutions deliver within agreed budget and deadline.
- The ideal candidate will be degree qualified with strengths proven to have the ability in managing packaging development projects.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment.
- Demonstrated design skills in product packaging, conceptual layouts and analysis.
- Thorough understanding of the product packaging development process and relationship to the product Lifecycle.
- Strong interpersonal and project management skills and demonstrated ability to solve problems cross functionally and regionally.
- Experience with designing product packaging for domestic and international distribution and supply chains.
- Fundamental knowledge of product packaging development as well as primary packaging development including clamshells, thermal foaming, bags, corrugated inserts, folding cartons, pulp tray and internal protective packaging.
- Thorough understanding of design for manufacturability concepts used to optimize the overall performance and features of the final package. (Cost, Quality, Reliability, Manufacturability/Sustainability).
- Thorough knowledge of packaging technologies and manufacturing processes.
- Proficient in 3D CAD.
- Proficient in generating engineering documentations (technical drawings, shipping configuration, analysis report) Strong problem-solving skills, including root cause investigations.
- Experience of all disciplines in packaging will be required, as well as a good understanding of current packaging regulations and directives.
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.