- Information Technology
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
At Dyson, we demand the highest standard of performance from the technologies we engineer. Our people expect the same from the technology that supports them. We are a community that appreciates and advocates better engineering. A community of pioneers.
Dyson IT are mid-transformation. Our aim, to create robust IT architecture, to manage data effectively and efficiently and continue to grow our world-class team. A team who is strategic, enabling business acceleration, growth and success.
Global IT Strategy, Platforms and Enablement Overview
This team are accountable for delivering the IT strategy that aligns to and forms part of the broader Dyson strategic blueprint. It will take the lead in bringing technology insights to this strategy and mobilising innovative technology centres of excellence to accelerate the delivery of the strategic intents called out in the blueprint.
The team will lead on the optimisation of resource across people, finances and architectural principles to ensure the Dyson IT teams are focused on the right things at the right time and in the right order.
The team lead on enabling and co-ordinating cross pillar activity, at all levels in IT, to ensure consistency of process and outcome is achieved, particularly around service management best practice.
About the role
As Platform Engineer, reporting to the EMEA Technical Service Lead, you will be responsible for:
- Help to evolve the team from a traditional on prem infrastructure focused function to a Platforms team, to include automated cloud toolsets.
- Utilises DevOps tools
- SME for cloud technology
- Continuous service and team performance improvement by coaching/mentoring global team colleagues who are not yet as skilled in platform/cloud automation.
- Contribute your ideas and skills to drive business improvements.
- Support existing and new Cloud Projects
- POC creation for new product/services
- Use of CI/CD pipelines, define priorities, and carry out root cause analysis on issues
- Managing, responding to and resolving platform alerts
- Ensuring the resolution of incidents and requests in SLA to improve service
- Working with partners and security teams to ensure services are secure and compliant
- Managing technical change, ensuring minimal risk
- Participating in DR reviews, tests and performance testing
- Assist with capacity planning reports
- Providing 3rd / 4th line support of Physical/Virtual Windows Servers and HPE SAN’s, using the published processes and procedures for guidance
- Maintain uptime levels and improve the running of the platform
- Make sure all systems & data at Dyson are protected
- Manage 3rd Party relationships with key partners
- Publish, improve and manage internal I.T. documentation and processes
- Contribute to continual service improvement
- Delivery of platform projects, builds, installations and configuration to best practice
- Work with Cloud CoE and Network CoE functions to ensure standards are adhered to, quality of service is ensured, and support models are in place for all platform solutions
- Assist with reviewing and delivering improvements to the global platform landscape
- Mentoring other infrastructure and platform engineers globally.
- Cover for EMEA Technical Services Lead when required.
Person specification / core competencies:
- Self-driven individual with the capability to break out of their comfort zone and technology area
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, proficient presenting and explaining technical information in a non-technical way
- Decision making/problem solving skills
- Strong planning and organization skills
- Manages time effectively, meets deadlines, and achieves objectives
- Good communicator and collaborator, able to share your skills with others
- Able to demonstrate a passion for technology and an ability to adopt quickly
- Ability to work under pressure
- Platform and DevOps engineering experience for enterprise customers
- Public cloud engineering experience, predominantly in AWS, but also Azure and GCP advantageous
- Previous CI/CD experience including BitBucket, Terraform, Ansible and Jenkins.
- Deployments of AWS resources using terraform templates e.g. EC2, RDS, S3, Route 53, security groups, route tables, etc.
- Related industry qualifications in AWS, Azure or GCP / VMWare/Microsoft / ITIL
- Any prior experience of the following technologies:
- Coding / scripting experience
- Windows and Linux experience
- VMWare and Hyper-V virtualisation
- HPE Nimble/3PAR SAN storage arrays
- Estate and patch management
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.