- Mechanical Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Dyson products strive to be at the leading edge of technology. Through unique strategic partnerships with global top universities and leading businesses, we gain foresight of up and coming technologies. The Technical Research team aims to exploit this knowledge to design state-of-the-art products allowing us to differentiate from the competition and be ahead of the times.
About the roleThis is a fantastic opportunity for an established Fluids, Thermal or Mechanical Engineer to work within a small team of like-minded engineering problem solvers within our Research, Design and Development department (RDD). The successful candidate will be responsible for the application of analytical, simulation and experimental methods to provide fluid dynamics and thermal insight to the business.
- Identify and manage category level fluids and thermal challenges across our floorcare range
- Provide advice and guidance to Design Managers and assembly teams on allocated projects, taking a lead role and responsibility for the areas of fluid flow and thermal management.
- Predict product performance using system modelling techniques.
- Support the understanding of these challenges through experimental validation and other relevant analytic and simulation methods.
- Design and perform experiments to validate simulations and provide insight into product performance.
- Present progress and status of allocated design projects to upper management.
- Mentor and lead other engineers, providing guidance and support on fluid dynamics and thermal problems.
- Chair and Represent the fluid dynamics team at project cross-team meetings.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with design engineers at all levels, including the relevant technical teams in the Far East.
About youQualifications, skills and behaviours:
- A degree or Masters in Aeronautical or Mechanical Engineering (other relevant disciplines will be considered).
- An excellent working knowledge of the fundamentals of fluid dynamics and thermodynamics.
- Around 5-10 years’ experience with demonstrable ownership of problem identification and resolution.
- A good understanding of the principles and application of CFD methods.
- (Previous experience of ANSYS-Fluent and/or ANSYS-CFX beneficial, but not essential)
- A good understanding of experimental methods and processes, particularly with regard to pressure, temperature and flow measurement techniques.
- A good working knowledge of commercial CAD tools, preferably Siemens NX.
- A good working knowledge of Matlab & Simscape.
- Good analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
- Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values.
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams and projects in an often high-pressure, competitive environment.
- Excellent team-working skills
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.