- Science and Research
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We are proud to be authentic, different and pioneers. We are driven by a desire to solve real problems and improve everyday lives with intuitive solutions that do more, but use less. Family owned, we are not restricted by conventional thinking; we explore, discover and learn for ourselves. Never satisfied, we believe everything can always be made better.
About the role
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Principal Mechanical Engineer to join the rapidly growing Battery Pack team within the Technical Research department. The team are pioneering methods of integrating Dyson's own state-of-the-art cell technology, as well as delivering improvements to packs with commercial cells.
- Stretch the boundaries of Battery power and energy density, whilst ensuring safety, robustness and reliability.
- Lead the design of robust solutions and resolve technical challenges across multiple platforms and projects, liaising with technical experts in Mechanical/Thermal/Cell Design/Power Electronics aspects, as well as the Product teams.
- Proactively identifying technical risks within projects and influencing design teams in their resolution, often taking the lead in the design and verification of the engineering solution
- Develop innovative and novel concepts with high value IP while considering freedom to operate
- Act as subject matter expert in their field, disseminating knowledge, guiding and mentor engineers in methodology, best practise and standards
- Review and approve work completed by others
- Create and drive robust verification and validation plans, employing and developing appropriate tools.
- Challenge and develop best practice and process improvements within team and across the wider Research function
- Accountable for providing an independent view and sign off of projects at each milestone
- Degree in a relevant engineering or scientific discipline (2:1 degree or better)
- Appreciable level of industrial experience in the design and development of Lithium ion Battery packs
- Expert knowledge and ability to define and oversee work in many of the following areas: Static mechanical analysis, fatigue analysis, fracture mechanics, thermo-mechanical analysis, impact/shock/vibration, mult-scale-multi-domain modelling, CFD, electrical/thermal FE, reduced order modelling, materials science, welding, data analysis, Matlab/Simulink, DoE
- In-depth experience in Battery pack development and integration of Battery packs into complete Power Systems
- Ability to devise lab-based measurement techniques and have a strong command of analysis software and equipment for component and system level characterisation and validation
- Able to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal formats
- Ability to operate 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages, ideally Siemens NX
- Lead in the application of GD&T
- Extensive knowledge of physical failure methods and approaches to root cause analysis
- Experience of manufacturing and assembly methods, including automation and simulation.
- Knowledge of compliance and electrical insulation scheme considerations, including creepage and clearance distances, flammability ratings etc
- Ability to work across a number of different projects and platforms simultaneously, work in a cross-functional team environment, and demonstrate strong motivation to get the job done
- Knowledge of power system design, including motors, transmissions and energy storage solutions
- Working knowledge of other engineering disciplines such as cell design, electrochemistry and power electronics.
- Experience using Siemens NX, ANSYS Workbench and Siemens Teamcenter
- Appreciation of statistics and robust design techniques
- Practical skills relating to prototyping, assembling and fixturing
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.