- Energy storage
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with uprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re driven by progress and thrive on the challenge of relentless improvement. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our engineering approach starts with different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way. Today we employ more than 5,800 people around the world in software engineering, mechanical engineering and science-related roles.
Dyson’s interest in researching and developing energy storage technologies started more than a decade ago, when it became apparent that the full potential of our DDM motors were starting to be held back by commercially available batteries. Fast-forward to 2021, and we now have over 100 scientists and engineers working on battery R&D across our labs in the UK, US and Singapore.
With multiple generations of Dyson battery technologies ranging from early research through the industrialisation phase, Dyson are recruiting a wide range of roles across their UK and Singapore labs to accelerate progress. These roles include materials scientists, electrochemists, cell design engineers, cell test technicians, cell assembly technicians, mechanical design engineers, manufacturing process development engineers and manufacturing technologists. We are recruiting at all levels of seniority up to senior technical leadership roles.
About the roleThere is a requirement for a Principal Process Development Engineer within the Energy Storage team, to drive development of processes pioneered in research through to pilot scale manufacture. This role is a key part of the team that is going to succeed in overcoming these challenges by combining experience, engineering excellence, and clear thinking with innovative designs to keep Dyson at the leading edge of energy storage technologies. A confident, dynamic engineer with proven experience working in the chemical, materials development, fuel-cell or battery industries. We are looking for a self-starter but also hands-on, numerically confident and capable, with a demonstrable track record of delivering objectives. Experience in fast-paced development environments, with the capability to think on their feet. Comfortable with ambiguity and able to quickly pivot based on evolving business requirements. Applicants for this particular role must have significant demonstrable experience in the aforementioned areas, specifically the development of critical processes ready for pilot scale manufacture. Responsibilities:
- The review of unit operations and processes identified at a research level, and the development of these to reliable and reproducible process steps
- Review of potential alternative and parallel technology methods to achieve the same aim
- Identify potential methods of manufacture whereby significant cost or quality improvements could be realised
- Working with partners and internal engineers to rapidly prototype solutions for trial & verification
- To lead development projects with partners and collaborators for the prototyping and engineering of equipment.
- As a senior employee, the successful applicant would be expected to;
- Develop the concept, proving key technologies and demonstrating the system feasibility
- Prove the production intent solution and create suitable documentation prior to handover to the manufacturing teams and partners
- Demonstrate proposed solutions are safe, robust, cost effective and fit-for-purpose for a high-volume manufacturing environment
- Assist in the personal development of junior team members.
- Degree in a scientific or engineering discipline
- Proven developing processes or products
- Project progression – can demonstrate having taken a product/idea/process from research (early phase) through to prototype on a number of occasions
- Stakeholder management including demonstrated decision influencing
- Demonstratable leadership of quality & value improvements related to product and process engineering activities
- Good understanding of the safety aspects of the proposed processes, and how these change with scale
- Broad manufacturing process experience
- Design and construction of development and Pilot-Line equipment
- Batch and continuous processes
- Multi-stage unit operations; timings and work-flow
- Hazardous and/or complex environments, (e.g. dry / explosive / particulate / vapour)
- Management of the specification of equipment and facilities
- Experienced CAD user
- Data acquisition & Processing – Scientific in understanding but engineering in mind-set.
- Proficient in MS Office including Excel
- Statistical process control – Lean Six Sigma type approaches.
- Battery material or cell production process experience would be highly desirable
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.