- Retail Operations
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
This is achieved by delivering a memorable and engaging shopper experience; increasing consideration to purchase and converting the shopper. You will be creating and developing demonstration methods, tools and assets to support in-store demonstrations for existing and new products. You will be working within a team of retail experts (concept design, retail marketing, training and operations) in conjunction with our commercial teams and engineers.
In this role, you will also work up-stream with our engineers, gaining a deep understanding of our latest machines across all categories, how they work and what makes them better than the competition. Using this knowledge, you will generate ideas and concepts to demonstrate the unique features of the machines (making the invisible, visible), formulate a brief and work with the rest of the retail team to design and develop retail solutions that encourage shopper interaction with our machines.
You will need to have broad experience in how to engage shoppers through interesting and exciting demonstrations that help bring our technology to life and make it easily understandable. You’ll also need to use your initiative to find new ways of delivering a demonstration, where an expert is not feasible. This also needs to include the ability to self-demo where possible.
About the role12 Month Contract - Based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire.
Become an ExpertBecome an expert in Dyson’s product categories, understand the science and technology behind our NPD and keep up to date with all NPD and relevant category projects, events, insights and news
Early Retail RequirementsWorking with RDD to understand the latest NPD you will then produce the retail requirements with input from the retail marketing, design and development teams. These requirements will sit within the product level specification to ensure that the retail needs are considered, planned for and met in time for NPD launch.
Demo and Experience ExplorationWork with RDD and GTM teams to explore early-stage demo concepts to showcase the science, technology, performance and lifestyle elements of the product. Produce proof of concept mockups for cross team review to ensure no barriers are raised from claims, legal health and safety and demo validation work can address any questions and concerns raised.
Tiered ExperiencesUnderstand and consider multiple tiers and channels of retail within your exploration and validation work. How can your concepts evolve to work in unassisted environments with less space and lower budgets, how can they transfer over to a virtual store environment, and how can they be utilised for live remote video demonstration
Demo ValidationEnsure that demo concepts are fully validated. This may be through defining test work for RDD to complete, reviewing existing test data, creating modular prototypes to prove performance at a system level, defining and completing your own test plan or working with claims and legal teams to perform literature reviews.
Handover PackCreate a handover pack for multiple channels detailing the concepts and all approved validation work. This would also include any CAD generated, BOM, risk assessments, copies of legal reviews, FMEA and any physical prototypes.
New Technology ExplorationKeep up to date with the latest in retail experience design, what are others doing, what new technology can we implement to create for compelling demo and experiences.
About youOur ideal candidate understands how to present, explain and demonstrate complex information in a fun, engaging and easy to understand way. You must be able to understand complex technical, scientific and engineering principles and break them down into simple, digestible blocks of information. The designer will be expected to initiate new demo concepts and ideas from a blank sheet of paper.
You should be creative, enjoy a challenge and enjoy solving problems. You will need to work with a wide variety of people, from research scientists, design engineers to commercial operators to conceptual designers.
A collaborative working style is essential, as well as being able to work self-sufficiently and at pace.
This experience could have been gained through the design engineering roles; however, it could equally be that you have built your experience by working in retail, events, effects, entertainment, hospitality or tourism (i.e. museums).
- A degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline or equivalent
- Sound understanding of basic mechanical/product design principles and the development of products and technologies through prototyping and testing
- Proven ability to communicate through a variety of media
- Ability to plan, prioritise and co-ordinate with work of others
- Technical and personal credibility to work effectively in cross-functional design teams throughout the project development cycle.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of multiple tooling and manufacturing techniques.
- Proven experience of delivering creative design solutions that improve upon existing product designs
- A creative and considered approach to problem solving, following clear design processes.
- Practical and methodical design development through hands on rig building, prototyping and testing.
- Ability to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and coordinate with the work of others.
- Good commercial awareness with pragmatic approach to balance cost and value
- 5+ years of experience as a design engineer or equivalent. (Industrial, product, mechanical)
- Development of physical prototypes to evaluate proof of concept using a combination of hand made and prototype parts
- Knowledge of CAD, sketching and creative software. (Solidworks, Shapr3d, Adobe creative suite or equivalent)
- Understanding of design for manufacture principles and material selection
- Test planning for validating concepts and verification of requirements
- Definition of design requirements
- Keeping a design rational document up to date showing the detailed design process of your concepts with good technical justifications.
- Solutions orientated – demonstrated initiative and not afraid to challenge convention
- Flexible, resourceful and determined, the ability to overcome a obstacles to get the job done
- Teamwork, drive and enthusiasm
- Excellent conceptual thinking, sketching and ideation capability
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to multitask is paramount
- Confident, positive, motivated and proactive
- Arduino or equivalent electronics platform for prototyping
- Knowledge of Augmented reality principles
- Understanding of shopper behaviors, shopper analysis and research experience
- Understanding of regulatory, compliance and health and safety standards for consumer electronics
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.