- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Bristol Office
Technical Product Owner
We partner with the other NPI teams across Dyson to rapidly resolve early product concepts and ideas through the development of working prototypes that de-risk tech and inform the high-level requirements that ensure the delivery teams in New Product Development (NPD) understand what is required and are ready and able to deliver.
We are a growing team; we currently have 2 teams, located in the UK (a mixture of the Bristol and Dyson Campus in Malmesbury and Hullavington), each 8 engineers of Embedded, App and Cloud software mix and a Product Owner. Team members are from a variety of educational backgrounds and experience levels; not all of us are computer science graduates.
Our teams have the autonomy to manage their own work using scrum or Kanban frameworks, each honing their ways of working through regular retrospectives and knowledge sharing. We all share a commitment to creating high-quality code, and choose to follow practices such as pair programming and mobbing. We also regularly share our knowledge and interests through ‘community meetings’, which have led to the adoption of new technologies, and cross-team collaboration.
We often need to interact with people from different parts of the business, so we plan in 5-sprint ‘increments’, based on the best bits of the Scaled Agile Framework. This gives us more visibility of upcoming work while remaining responsive, and allows us to collaborate effectively with other teams within our 11,000-person organisation.
The environment, both within the teams and across the whole of NST, is characterised by trust and respect; we believe the teams themselves are the best people to decide how they deliver work, and that within the teams everyone’s contribution is vital.
About the role
We are on the lookout for a Technical Product Owner to join the NST Team at Dyson. Communication and stakeholder engagement are key to this role, along with strategic thinking and the ability to break problems down and collaboratively find solutions. Due to the range of projects and skill sets in the team, you need to be comfortable working with technical concepts from embedded software challenges integrating with hardware, through to App and Cloud platforms, as well as communicating these challenges to non-technical stakeholders. You understand the need to use risk and value to drive priority of work. You may be an experienced Designer/Developer with experience leading others, looking to transition into your first Product Owner role, or an experienced Product Owner looking to work in a dynamic, high technology environment.
Within the PO role, you will work with Jira and Confluence. Some of the PO role can benefit from System modelling tools such as Enterprise Architect, although, this is not essential.
What you’ll be doing
- Working with your fellow developers to contribute to features and improvements to our Dyson Link app, ensuring they are tested, robust and scalable
- Working with colleagues from other disciplines, including test engineers, product owners, Scrum Masters, UX/UI designers, and software engineers in our cloud and embedded teams
- Sharing knowledge within the app team to develop your skills and competencies and those of your teammates
- Identifying new technologies, tools and approaches to help continually improve standards and quality
- You’re interested in how technology can improve the environments people live in
- You’re a collaborative person that believes in the Agile principles and how they can help empowered teams deliver the best software
- You’ve contributed quality code to Android apps that have delighted their users
- You’re passionate about learning new things and sharing those things with others
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.