- Product Design
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
We’re all inventive and hugely passionate about what we do. Dyson people are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes). We’re creative, collaborative, practical, enthusiastic and resourceful. But most of all we’re passionate about what we do.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
About the roleThe Graphics Team is responsible for all Graphics and Packaging that is used in the manufacturing of Dyson products. The operation is split between the UK and Malaysia. The UK plays a strategic role in delivering these items, and the Malaysia team play a tactical part. Together they deliver effective, cutting edge solutions to Dyson’s graphics and Packaging.
Based within the UK Graphics and Packaging project team, the role is to project manage activity related to Product Packaging, Labelling and Graphics materials, focusing specifically on New Product Development.
Working within a multi-disciplinary team including Copy Content management, Artwork Studio, Creative, Packaging Design and Operational functions, you play a key role in project delivery, driving efficiency and quality improvement through all stages of development and production. You will ensure that all graphic and packaging elements of the project are delivered on time, to agreed spec and within budget.
The role reports to Graphics and Packaging Lead Project Manager and is responsible for planning, managing and delivering projects to production. Key functions are: defining project requirement, identifying and securing resource, producing and actively managing project time plan, artwork approvals, controlling day-to-day priorities and ensuring all participating within the project are given clear direction on what they need to do and when. You will be working closely with your team and other project stakeholders, sharing information, identifying and mitigating risks, producing accurate project reports and ensuring you are up to date and invested in the team's long-term goals.
The role forms a vital link between Creative, RDD Engineering, Commercial Launch Management, Print Production and Manufacturing teams globally - resolving all the short term, day-to-day risks and managing long term project delivery plans.
- Delivering large G&P projects. Depending on business needs, can work independently or can work in collaboration with another PM or an Associate PM on larger more complex projects.
- Project planning, management and communication. When new projects come in, challenging them with your team. Asking questions, getting involved, exploring opportunities and thinking about how to tackle the challenge. Pro-actively engaging, briefing, encouraging and motivating your project team to take on the task in hand.
- Organizing the construction of a schedule supporting your project, ensuring that Graphics and Packaging, Marketing/Commercial, Creative Services and Engineering milestones are aligned. Defining different timelines, key input and outputs for each deliverable identified within your project.
- Setting the goals and drivers from a production perspective. Establishing Engineering, Marketing/Commercial and Creative key decision points and driving the project team to meet deadlines, ensuring robust schedules are in place.
- Ensuring projects are briefed, planned, managed and approved to correct process. This role is responsible for ensuring all Graphics projects follow company processes driven by other departments within this business. This includes Engineering, Standards Compliance, Legal and IP processes.
- Writing Studio brief and booking Studio resource based on priorities, deadlines, availability and by negotiation with other PMs in both UK and SEA teams.
- Driving graphics and packaging materials through the approval process proactively.
- Working with Graphics and Packaging Lead Project Manager, Packaging designers, Creative teams, Print Production and Change Management Coordinators to ensure that all print specifications are correct for purpose and on budget to the original project target and assembly specification.
- Ensuring that each artwork item is checked for content and suitability. Proof-reading copy, ensuring that any changes to copy assets are clearly marked and briefed to Copy team. Ensuring that print specs, graphics assets and mark-ups are clearly briefed to the Studio at the right time. Checking all changes have been made in Studio on artworks and that they are set up correctly in the first place.
- Working closely with G&P Change Management Coordinators to track timely and cost-effective release of graphics to production and to coordinate effective implementation of any graphics changes.
- Ensuring that Graphics & Packaging materials and solutions are fit for purpose based on Vision spec as set out by Senior stakeholders in Engineering, Product Interaction Creative, Packaging Design and Commercial.
- Working closely with Suppliers, Contract Manufacturers, Print production and Engineering to ensure that all G&P materials meet their production requirements and actively resolve any restrictions and limitations.
- Working closely with RDD PM to ensure project requirements, risks and status are accurately reported to ensure full transparency and appropriate risk management.
- May become a mentor and train or guide more junior members of the G&P team.
- Chairing and/or attending cross-functional meetings with Engineering and Commercial streams to ensure alignment of deliverables and appropriate risk management.
- Escalating to relevant stakeholders and flagging for investigation any discrepancies found, investigating any Non-Conformances.
- Degree in relevant discipline (Graphics, Design, Project management) or equivalent experience.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and Microsoft Project.
- Good knowledge of Project Management principles. Formal Project Management qualification preferred (e.g. APMP, PRINCE2, Agile)
- Minimum of 3-4 years project management experience in relevant field (e.g. print production, publishing, packaging design, product management, engineering) demonstrating a good understanding of New Product Design and Development process, as well as an appreciation of product Graphics & Packaging design and production process.
- Knowledge of a variety of print production processes.
- Excellent English language skills (written and verbal).
- Excellent communication skills, able to listen, and convey complex issues concisely and accurately. Able to tailor communication to the right audience, share the right information with the right people at the right time, be professional, clear and concise.
- Approachable, professional, confident and flexible.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and cultural awareness, able to build productive working relationships within the team and across the business and influence others.
- Good understanding in application of business processes, project governance methods and operational/development framework.
- Analytical mind-set, attention to detail and ability to challenge assumptions and convention; striving to get to the root cause of a problem, always looking for new and better ways of doing things.
- Proactive problem-solver, able to navigate complex processes and systems.
- Self-motivated and able to resolve conflict, inspire teams, mentor peers, and promote PM principals and best practice.
- Strong leadership skills, able to form complex and high performing teams quickly.
- Excellent team-working skills.
- Able to handle demanding workload, manage multiple large projects at once and deliver on schedule.
- Experience of delivering projects in a busy production environment.
- Experience of driving a project team to deliver to defined and agreed schedules.
- Experience of managing project progress by constantly tracking deliverables and finding ways to identify and remove risks.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Private Medical and Dental
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.