- Design and Development
- Japan - Tokyo Office
Dyson is a global technology company with a unique philosophy - to solve problems that others ignore. It transforms every category it enters with radical and iconic re-inventions that work, perform and look very different.
About the Role
Dyson products are built to last, as well as perform. To do this we invest heavily in performance, quality and reliability. In the Global Quality Safety and Sustainability Team we analyse data and customer feedback, relentlessly improving product safety, reliability, usability and customer satisfaction. Each generation of Dyson technology must set the quality benchmark for the next.
This Quality Manager role is specific to managing the market quality / reliability rates of all Dyson products selling in Japan. Reporting to the Senior Quality Manager – APAC, this role is responsible for ensuring appropriate management of Japan reliability rates and warranty cost reduction goals. The Japan leadership team will be a primary stakeholder.
Role Overview & Accountabilities
The scope of the role requires you to grow and manage a small, agile team of specialist quality engineers in Japan. You and your team will need to understand the reliability issues of our products in-market and their root causes, as well as their associated impact on reliability rates and customer perceptions. You and your team will then help to build an evidence-based picture to bring to life the voice of the customer. The role requires engineering engagement with Design, Engineering, Operations and Commercial teams for soon to launch or launched products.
Accordingly, you and your team will deliver the following:
- First line triage, troubleshooting and issue definition.
- Engineering Paretos; basic engineering analysis of returned faulty parts or products in order to identify the actual failure modes driving customer complaints.
- Customer Comment Paretos; data analysis of our CRM data corded by the customer service team in order to identify the main symptoms of customer complaints.
- Filed audits of newly launched products in market.
- New Product Launch Tracking; review and summarise all customer contact activity in region during the first three months of launch in order to identify issues as quickly as possible and escalate accordingly, to the Ramp up quality teams.
- Early Warning Activity; Use of analytical techniques to detect any increase in failure rates, regularly meeting with the customer services and after market teams to obtain anecdotal feedback of potentially increasing issues. Appropriate next steps will need to be driven independently.
- Japan Market Support – Provide localised Engineering support to the wider business, where needed.
- Liability Claims; assist with any local liability claims providing engineering insight into reported issues, reporting to the Safety Teams as required.
- Retailer Claims; assist with any local product reliability claims from Retailers providing engineering insight into reported issues and driving closure with the Sustain Quality Teams as required.
- Engineering Support; provide general engineering support to other areas of the business when necessary. Activities may include but not limited to customer care and service support, product refurbishment, technical training, media, product rework, product compliance.
- Liaise with The Customer Insights team to define specific Insight requirements for review e.g. what products, timeframe, markets, data sources etc.
- Indirect customer insight – use all available data sources to provide localised information/insight to the category on perception of Dyson & Competitor products, with the primary focus that of reliability & satisfaction of experience. Included (but not exclusive) are Online Reviews, Professional Publications, Social Media data, YouTube etc.
- Ensure that on-line reviews are translated & categorised to identify consumer likes & dislikes with both Dyson and Competitor products. Ensure methodology is aligned with other Group functions i.e. Commercial Insights, Mechanistic etc.
- Using the appropriate (& pre-agreed) tools generate series of questions to tease out the required insight from consumers e.g. surveys.
- Facilitate and support internal market product and competitor benchmarking trials/surveys.
- Liaise with the Data team within the Quality function to ensure continual enhancement of the data tools (e.g. Tableau) to ensure the data reflects the requirements of the market teams.
About You (Experiences & Qualifications)
- A Degree in Engineering, or related field with 5 - 8 years' management experience in an Engineering, Quality Assurance, Test & Verification, Customer Satisfaction or Front-end Customer Relationship Management environment.
- English proficiency is a must. (EIKEN Grade Pre-1 & above)
- Ability to lead, support and motivate others to achieve outstanding results.
- Excellent cross functional partnership, collaboration, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to challenge the status quo and relentlessly drive continuous improvement.
- Excellent analytical problem-solving skills.
- Experience in project, programme and partner management.
- Experienced practitioner of Quality tools and methodologies, such as: Critical to (safety, satisfaction, reliability), FMEAs, Statistical Process Control, Control Plans, 8D/CAPA, 6Sigma.
- Ability to communicate well through a variety of media and channels.
- Willingness to get stuck in, get your hands dirty and be a flexible team player.
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.