- Operational Engineering
- United Kingdom - Begbroke Office
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Dyson’s interest in researching and developing energy storage technologies started more than a decade ago, when it became apparent that the full potential of our DDM motors were starting to be held back by commercially available batteries. Fast-forward to 2021, and we now have over 100 scientists and engineers working on battery R&D across our labs in the UK, US and Singapore.
With multiple generations of Dyson battery technologies ranging from early research through the industrialisation phase, Dyson are recruiting a wide range of roles across their UK and Singapore labs to accelerate progress. These roles include materials scientists, electrochemists, cell design engineers, cell test technicians, cell assembly technicians, mechanical design engineers, manufacturing process development engineers and manufacturing technologists. We are recruiting at all levels of seniority up to senior technical leadership roles.
About the role
You will join a team of material scientists, electrochemists, mechanical and electronic engineers working to meet Dyson’s growing energy storage requirements, your focus will be the hands-on maintenance and operation of chemical processing equipment for research, manufacture, prototyping and testing. In this role you will have access to the latest technologies from around the world and develop the next generation of batteries. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team and have opportunity to develop capabilities across a range of materials processing equipment.
Key Responsibilities of the role
- Gain a clear understanding of Dyson’s Energy Storage requirements and apply your knowledge to support the process development of new energy storage technologies, to enable the next generation of our products.
- Work within a multidisciplinary team to scale materials from laboratory to production scale. Utilising process insight and applied knowledge you will facilitate new product introductions and transfer developed processes to manufacture.
- Be responsible for delivering operational and/or technical tasks and processes across a range of core operational activities across the engineering lifecycle.
- Carry out work with hazardous and toxic materials and powders, ensuring safety procedures are implemented and followed.
- Supporting the team with order processing and order management related to components and equipment using Dyson’s E-procurement system
- Supporting Health and Safety initiatives within the labs, including but not limited to:
- Champion 7S activities (safety, sort, set in order, shine, standardize, sustain, spirit)
- Organising equipment maintenance for equipment and facilities, including liaising with Dyson’s facilities teams and external contractors
- Management, stock control and ordering of PPE, chemicals and utilities
- Management of the hazardous waste storage and disposal
- Relevant industrial experience. For example, a background in the battery, electronics, chemical, aerospace orassembly industries.
- Practical experience of working with and maintaining process and manufacturing equipment
- Practical experience of handling hazardous materials and powders, and use of protective equipment, LEV and other safety controls.
- Good understanding of health, safety and environmental responsibilities within a chemical environment.
- Experience of a quality driven research environment, traceability systems and maintaining auditable assembly records.
- Experience of following standard operating procedures and change control in a research and development environment.
- Experience of performing quality control procedures from goods-in to final product.
- Problem solving, analytical with an attention to detail. An ability to identify, resolve or suggest solutions for material processing issues, providing examples of continuous improvement activity.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritise tasks relative to wider project scope and timelines.
- Excellent team working and interpersonal skills, including flexibility and adaptability whilst working across teams.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information. Practised in the use of office applications for recording, processing and presenting data.
- Capable of working independently to plan ahead, deliver materials and complete tasks on time and in full.
- Prior experience of the materials and processes used in the energy storage industry - however training will be provided.
- Practical knowledge of analytical and characterisation techniques used in chemical and materials processing.
- Experience of small-scale chemical manufacture and materials processing
- Experience of process development and technical transfer.
- Understanding of process research and development.
- Working knowledge of good engineering practise and equipment qualification.
- Performance related bonus
- Company paid Life Insurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Competitive pension scheme
- Flexible benefits programme with a growing range of voluntary benefits, including the ability to purchase additional holidays
- 27 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays
- Private Medical insurance for all employees
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
- Digital GP and prescription service
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.