- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
Dyson is growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people. Our technology is unique and complex, so it’s up to us to explain it clearly. Working in-house, directly with engineers and the broader business, we create inspirational communications that showcase our technology. Our commercial strategies should launch our pioneering technologies and explain why they are better as simply and clearly as possible. We create customer and owner experiences that are authentic and uniquely Dyson.
The Technical Design and Production function is part of the wider multidisciplinary Global Retail Brand Experience Team and is responsible for all aspects of the physical retail experience. It’s a really exiting team to be a part of at Dyson, where you will work across multiple categories and functions to ensure the design process is seamless and considered, collaborating closely with RDD, Product Marketing and the regional retail design teams.
About the role
As a Retail Technical Designer working out of our campus in Malmesbury, you will be key to the development of all fixtures and product demonstrations brought to market, ensuring we are a pioneering retailer with leading technical design in all of our physical retail spaces. You will drive projects from brief to completion, working collaboratively with Concept Design and Research, Development and Design (RDD) teams to achieve a cohesive physical retail shopper journey.
You will be the lead contact between the Retail Concept and Production teams, providing consultation on a multi-disciplinary level, offering technical guidance and design validation, ensuring that we evolve initial design concepts into tangible retail furniture for production. You will pioneer the technical aspect and the forefront development of new product development (NPD) fixtures for third party and direct global systems, delivering concurrent projects by producing and signing-off technical development in the form of detailed 3D CAD modelling and ready for production drawings for a number of areas, including, standard system furniture, demonstrational rigs, product support mechanics, and injection mouldings. Your ability to multi-task successfully will be paramount.
You will liaise with our RDD/South East Asia (SEA) and Retail Marketing teams on collating all required product information to ensure it is utilised within the project brief for the wider functions, while also working jointly with the RDD/SEA product engineers to ensure compatibility of production products on retail fixtures, all whilst providing insight and guidance for the necessity of retail specific components when required upstream.
You will collaborate with and manage projects with external global vendor resource to provide engineering guidance, whilst pushing to improve cost, production and environmental efficiencies wherever possible throughout each project. You will be the primary point of contact for store architects, consulting & briefing on standard system and New Product Development (NPD) furniture for retail, ensuring guidelines are executed correctly in accordance with relevant codes and regulations, providing detailed briefings to General Contractors for store fit outs.
- Ideally educated to degree level in a relevant field of study (e.g. Product / Industrial / Furniture Design)
- At least four years of technical design experience, working within a retail environment, in-house or for an agency
- Experience managing projects from technical design development, through prototyping and into production manufacture
- An excellent understanding of brand anatomy and the part that visual identity and branded communications play within it
- Good design communication and exploration skill, with strong sketching and design modelling
- Strong knowledge of materials, prototyping, manufacturing, production processes and the BS 8888 standard
- Good working ability of design software (e.g. Solidworks, AutoCAD and Adobe Creative Suite)
- Comfortable presenting and working with internal stakeholders and external suppliers
- Collaborative, a lateral thinker, meticulous attention to detail, an organised multitasker
- Performance related bonus scheme
- Competitive pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines and retail discounts
- Free bus travel to and from campus (from Bristol, Chippenham and Swindon)
- 27 days’ holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Free on-site lunches, fruit and hot drinks
- Free on-site sports centre, gym, hair-salon, lifestyle assist (concierge)
- Electric vehicle salary sacrifice scheme
- Ability to purchase additional holiday
- Private medical insurance and dental insurance
- Employee assistance programme, digital GP, prescription service, fertility treatment support
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.