- Project and Programme Management
- United Kingdom - Hullavington Office
We own and develop the Dyson Link Smart home app (more info here), which is at the forefront of Dyson's IoT experience. We are proud of what we have built so far; we have an App Store and Google Play rating of 4.5 and 4.3 stars respectively, we have more than 4 million active users and connected Dyson machines worldwide. We have huge ambition to grow this platform and as we connect more machines from more categories the challenge is significant.
There are 7 app teams, located in the UK and Singapore, each with up to 6 mobile developers and 2 test automation engineers, plus a Scrum Master and Product Owner. We all come from a variety of educational backgrounds and experience levels; not all of us are computer science graduates. We believe that teams composed of people from diverse backgrounds are more successful and innovative.
Our teams have the autonomy to manage their own work using Scrum or Kanban frameworks, each honing their ways of working through regular retrospectives and knowledge sharing. We all share a commitment to creating a challenging, though-provoking and satisfying environment to work in, delivering high quality output at a sustainable pace. We also regularly share our knowledge and interests peer-to-peer through Team Talks, Communities of Practice, Sprint demos and Agile Forums which has led to improved cross-team collaboration and understanding.
We often need to interact with people from different parts of the business, such as embedded software and the cloud teams, so we plan in 5-sprint ‘increments’, based on the best bits of the Scaled Agile Framework. This gives us more visibility of upcoming work while remaining responsive, and allows us to collaborate effectively with other teams within our 11,000-person organisation.
Mutual trust and respect between team members is important to build a supportive environment where people can do their best work. Our teams understand themselves well enough to make decisions about how they work; everyone’s contribution is vital.
Besides being agile and software professionals, we are also people who enjoy playing online or board games, heading out to lunchtime yoga classes, recording our latest run on Strava or just catching up over coffee. The last two years have been a challenge, but we have maintained and strengthened our culture while working through the various lockdowns with virtual events, an informal team newsletter and an empathetic attitude to the needs of individuals.
About the role
We are on the lookout for an experienced Scrum Master to join our mobile app team at Dyson. You’ll be working with 1 or 2 teams in collaboration with your Product Owner. You appreciate the need to deliver robust, testable code balanced against the need to deliver fast.
What you’ll be doing
- Working with and coaching the teams who are delivering features and improvements to our Dyson Link app, ensuring they are tested, robust and scalable
- Helping make sure the agile ceremonies, such as daily stand-ups, planning, sprint demos and retrospectives, are fresh, relevant, and useful
- Working with Product Owners to ensure upcoming work is well understood and refined
- Liaising with colleagues from other Agile Release Trains (Cloud, Embedded Software etc.) to identify dependencies and share new ideas and ways of working
- Sharing knowledge within the app team to develop your skills and competencies and those of your teammates
- Contributing to and sometimes running Agile Forum sessions or facilitating a CoP in order to encourage debate on new topics and ideas
- Using data to both identify sub-optimal working practices but also highlighting and celebrating improvements over time
- Helping to review and reset at the start of each SAFe Increment
- You are a Scrum Master who is looking for a new challenge in an agile-friendly, encouraging and collaborative environment
- You are enthusiastic and energetic with an ability to coach, empower and lead teams to self-organisation
- A great communicator, you will also have proven presentation and facilitation skills, which will ensure you garner respect from your teammates
- You’re interested in how technology can improve the environments people live in
- You’re a collaborative person that believes in the Agile principles and how they can help empowered teams deliver the best software
- You’re passionate about learning new things and sharing those things with others
- You get satisfaction from solving real-world problems with well-crafted software
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Free beverages and lunch
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.