- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Bristol Office
We are a highly technical, creative and collaborative team made up of App, Cloud and Embedded Engineers. We partner with teams across Dyson to rapidly refine early product concepts and ideas, by developing working prototypes that de-risk tech and help production teams understand what is required so they can focus on delivering.
We have a culture of trust and respect; we believe the teams themselves are the best people to decide how they deliver work, and that within the teams everyone’s contribution is vital. We regularly share our knowledge and interests through community meetings, which regularly lead to the adoption of new technologies, methods, and cross-team collaboration.
We are a growing group, currently split into two interdisciplinary scrum teams. Team members are from diverse educational backgrounds and experience levels.
When not building software, we can be found cycling, gaming, cooking, learning foreign languages, making music or building stuff. We’re a very sociable team, often meeting outside of work online or in person.
About The role
We’re after someone who deeply understands Android, and is passionate and proactive about building their broader technical skillset.
In NST, you are often given responsibility on projects, leading on technical and design approaches as well as contributing to our future technology roadmap.
You must be comfortable working with a variety of people — be it engineers in other disciplines on how to build a prototype, designers on how to design something amazing, or commercial teams on the value of the latest App innovation.
We work on future prototypes, so we often work on-site to maintain secrecy and work collaboratively. Dyson labs are not your standard dev studio.
We write our Android apps using Kotlin. Since most of our apps are not designed for the public or intended to be supported for a significant period, we are relatively free in our choice of technology. This enables us to understand the value or challenges with new technology to help inform our Delivery teams.
We have our own modules for commonly used functionality, which are managed via Gradle. Due to the nature of our work, we only write tests where needed.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Rapidly developing prototype apps for Dyson’s latest concepts
- Collaborating with colleagues from other disciplines, including cloud and embedded engineers, product owners, and feature and UX/UI designers
- Defining technical and design approaches as well as developing new algorithms
- Picking up new technology, and at times going beyond Android
- Presenting your work and findings to technical and non-technical audiences
- You’re passionate about keeping up to date on the latest innovations in Android, IoT, Smart Home and general technology
- You enjoy learning about new things and sharing those things with others
- You’re experienced writing quality Android apps
- You enjoy collaborating with other humans
- You’re comfortable with change
- You have experience working in an Agile software environment
- You’re able to work at our Bristol office at least 3 days per week (depending on Government restrictions)
27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Private Medical and Dental
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.