- Science and Research
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Dyson’s interest in researching and developing energy storage technologies started more than a decade ago, when it became apparent that the full potential of our DDM motors were starting to be held back by commercially available batteries. Fast-forward to 2021, and we now have over 100 scientists and engineers working on battery R&D across our labs in the UK, US and Singapore.
With multiple generations of Dyson battery technologies ranging from early research through the industrialisation phase, Dyson are recruiting a wide range of roles across their UK and Singapore labs to accelerate progress. These roles include materials scientists, electrochemists, cell design engineers, cell test technicians, cell assembly technicians, mechanical design engineers, manufacturing process development engineers and manufacturing technologists. We are recruiting at all levels of seniority up to senior technical leadership roles.
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Cell Design Manager within the Energy Storage team, to provide a key leadership role within a growing team. This role will focus on understanding and developing the use of cells within Dyson products, including defining the physical design of Dyson’s own cells. The successful individual will utilise their experience and knowledge to develop and optimise Dyson’s cells, balancing electrochemical, physical, product and safety performance. This role is a key part of the team that is going to succeed in developing innovative designs to keep Dyson at the leading edge of energy storage technologies.
- Understanding and developing cell requirements, based on interactions with product teams the business and the candidates experience.
- Working with electrochemists to understand and optimise cell performance.
- Working with prototyping and testing teams to capture the data required, including performance and safety data.
- Working with our modelling team to predict cell performance in specific product and use case scenarios. This will include developing methods to understand, rationalise and optimise trade off’s between performance and lifetime.
As a senior employee, the successful applicant would be expected to;
- Lead new designs, working with electrochemical, modelling and prototyping teams to develop designs and prove key performance points for specific applications
- Be responsible for cell selection / specification for particular products. This will include attending product level reviews with the design team and James Dyson
- Assist in the personal development of junior team members.
- Degree in a scientific or engineering discipline
- Proven experience developing processes or products
- Deep understanding of cell performance, including chemical, physical and manufacturing trade offs
- Have significant demonstrable experience in the ownership of cell design.
- Project progression – can demonstrate having taken a cell from initial selection to product implementation
- Stakeholder management including demonstrated decision influencing
- Demonstratable leadership of quality & value improvements
- Excellent understanding of the safety aspects of testing and use of cells in consumer applications
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to quickly pivot based on evolving business requirements
- A self-starter with proven people leadership skills, numerically confident and capable, with a demonstrable track record of delivering objectives.
- Experience in fast-paced development environments, with the capability to think on their feet
- Development and utilisation of cell modelling to achieve a specific product level goal
- Relationship building, specifically with cell suppliers. Ideally the candidate can demonstrate how they have influenced a supplier to meet a desired specification
- Data acquisition & Processing – Scientific in understanding but engineering in mind-set
- Performance related bonus
- Company paid Life Insurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Competitive pension scheme
- Flexible benefits programme with a growing range of voluntary benefits, including the ability to purchase additional holidays
- 27 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays
- Free bus travel to and from Malmesbury campus from Bristol, Chippenham and Swindon
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café providing endless free coffee and tea, and a free lunch
- Private Medical insurance for all employees
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
- Digital GP and prescription service
- On-site gym
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.