- Software Engineering and Connectivity
- Bristol - United Kingdom
We have a culture of trust and respect; we believe the teams themselves are the best people to decide how they deliver work, and that within the teams everyone’s contribution is vital. We regularly share our knowledge and interests through community meetings, which regularly lead to the adoption of new technologies, methods, and cross-team collaboration.
We are a growing group, currently split into two interdisciplinary scrum teams. Team members are from diverse educational backgrounds and experience levels.
When not building software, we can be found cycling, gaming, cooking, learning foreign languages, making music or building stuff. We’re a very sociable team, often meeting outside of work online or in person.
About the roleWe’re looking for someone who is passionate about problem solving. Working closely alongside Mobile Application developers and Embedded engineers you will be responsible for building and maintaining prototype cloud-based services to support potential future products and research projects. In addition, you will be investigating future technologies, services and platforms which can be utilised within our team and the wider Dyson organisation.
You must be comfortable working with a variety of people — be it engineers in other disciplines on how to build a prototype, or how to cloud can be used to inform and enable other teams to make data driven decisions, or commercial teams on understanding the value of the latest cloud innovation.
We work on future prototypes, so we often work on-site to maintain secrecy and work collaboratively. Dyson labs are not your standard dev studio!
The team works on a series of self-contained projects which allows us to adopt the most effective technology.
In order to deliver on accelerated timelines, we heavily utilise serverless technology from AWS, as well as prototyping languages such as Python or Go. This allows us to reduce overhead and keep us focused on the solution.
While we do not maintain any legacy code, we develop common components which can re-used in future projects.
What you’ll be doing
- Rapidly developing cloud platforms to support prototypes for Dyson’s latest concepts
- Collaborating with colleagues from other disciplines, including app and embedded engineers, product owners, and feature designers
- Defining technical and design approaches as well as developing new algorithms
- Picking up new technology, and at times going beyond cloud development
- Presenting your work and findings to technical and non-technical audiences
- Mentoring junior members of the team, including students from the Dyson Institute
- You’re passionate about keeping up to date on the latest innovations in Cloud, IoT, Smart Home and general technology
- You enjoy learning about new things and sharing those things with others
- You’re experienced building quality cloud platforms
- You enjoy collaborating with other engineers
- You’re comfortable with change, and have experience working in an Agile software environment
- You’re able to work at our Bristol office at least 3 days per week (depending on Government restrictions)
Benefits27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidaysPension schemePerformance related bonusPrivate medical insuranceLife assuranceDiscounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.