- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
Dyson is a global research and technology company with engineering, research, development, manufacturing and testing operations in Singapore, the UK, Malaysia, and the Philippines. Having started in a coach house in the UK, Dyson has consistently grown since it was established in 1993.
Dyson remains family-owned and employs over 18,000 people globally including 6,000 engineers and scientists. It sells products in 83 markets internationally.
But we’re not stopping there, Dyson is investing £2.75bn in the business to conceive revolutionary products and technologies. Dyson has global teams of engineers, scientists and software developers focused on the development of solid-state battery cells, high-speed electric digital motors, sensing and vision systems, robotics, machine learning technologies and A.I. investment.
Since inventing the first cyclonic bagless vacuum cleaner - DC01- in 1993, Dyson has created problem solving technologies for haircare, air purification, robotics, lighting, and hand drying.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced, intuitive, senior communicator to join Dyson’s global internal communications team and deliver a programme of internal communications which inspires and engages our people. This role is instrumental in keeping people across Dyson on-top of our Blueprint (our annual strategy), sharing stories that feed our culture, and communicating news both good and bad.
We cherish the culture and philosophy instilled by James Dyson, the Dyson family, and our inventive engineers and constantly tune our approach for the reality of a complex, rapidly growing, global business. We need someone with the confidence to challenge the norm, distil a message, and who pulls off the odd magic trick. You will need to be confident and quick thinking, guiding our most senior leaders and our people through daily challenges, while planning for the future.
You should be excited by our technology and relish the opportunity to explain it to anyone and everyone. You have energy and enthusiasm for a fast-paced, results-focused culture, and live Dyson’s problem-solving approach. You will embody the Dyson values, creating Authentic, Different and Pioneering communications that complement our internal strategy to inspire our people about Dyson’s technology, philosophy, leadership and performance.
You will have an outstanding understanding of internal communications and employee engagement, communications channels, events and the wider media landscape. The ability to tell inspiring stories is a given.
The type of work you will be doing
- Communications Strategy and planning - Reporting to the Global Head of Internal Communications, you will develop communication strategies and manage internal communications programmes to inspire our people about Dyson’s technology, philosophy, leadership, performance and culture.
- Trusted Advisor - You will provide regular counsel to our most senior leaders on the messaging for functional and organisation-wide announcements and longer-term horizon scanning – helping them share news in a clear, concise, factual and engaging way with our people, globally. You will quickly develop strong relationships with core stakeholders, cross-functionally to uncover new opportunities and react quickly to internal (and often external) challenges.
- Change Communications – You will support Dyson’s rapid change and transformation agenda, leading change communication activity and ensure communication is front and centre in all change programmes.
- Communication Channels, Insight and Measurement – Use investigative, copywriting, events and storytelling skills to surface authentic, different and pioneering stories from around Dyson – the right story on the right channel, at the right time. Support the team to implement new digital channels of communication and devise approaches to measurement to enable the team to constantly innovate and learn from key insights.
- Partnering – You will work closely with business leaders and managers on strategic communications and employee engagement initiatives.
- Global Communications – You will work hand-in-hand with our wider Communications team to ensure we have consistent internal communications across Dyson functions and markets. You will be a key team member, coaching and developing junior members of the team to develop knowledge and skills in internal communications.
- Strong project management and leadership skills: with outstanding organisational, budget management and planning skills
- Commercially astute and able to align objectives with those of the wider business
- Ability to influence multiple stakeholders to achieve your objectives, build and affect change
- First class communication skills, written and verbal, and be a natural storyteller
- Self-motivated and able to work autonomously: balancing advising with ‘doing’, reliable, and with excellent presentation skills
- You will be able to bring new ideas to the table, hold a firm opinion, but also accept a valid alternative. You’ll be able to think of new solutions quickly when situations change
- Tenacity and persistence in pursing answers to problems and comfortable with change and ambiguity
- The utmost discretion: tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive, complex and confidential issues and situations
- Cultural awareness and experience of the nuances of working with colleagues across the globe
- Proven track record of developing team members in a multi-faceted organisation.
- Experience of managing internal communications and employee engagement, ideally in a fast growing, global, commercial organisation. Ideally with a deep interest in technology
- Degree level education: 2:1 or above
- Over 5 years’ experience managing internal communications, including digital channels, ideally in a fast-growing commercial organisation or communications agency
- 27 days holiday (plus statutory bank holidays )
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sports centre
- Free on-site parking
- Free lunches and hot drinks
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Free Hair Salon
- Concierge service
- Electric vehicle lease scheme
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.