- Product Design
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
About the roleAs a Senior Design Engineer within NPD Haircare, you will be joining an innovative and dynamic team, developing the next generation of products in one of Dysons fastest growing categories. Working alongside a diverse global team, you will be solving problems from early concept selection, through to detailed design and product launch.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently and take a proactive approach to problem solving. We are always looking for creative solutions to the problems others ignore. By joining our world class Research Design and Development department, you will work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people.
The role will require a flexible approach to engineering, and a willingness to tackle challenges in innovative and pioneering ways. You will be responsible for the electrical integration and development of core electro-mechanical technology in a range of new devices designed for a variety of users. A practical approach to engineering, and a robust understanding of mechanical and electrical principles are required to deliver authentic, different and pioneering products.
• Owning the electro-mechanical integration for the next generation of Dyson Haircare products.
• Contributing to product Specifications, owning Requirements, and managing project Risks.
• Responsible for delivering parts, assemblies and systems from concept and proof of principle through to developed prototypes and production.
• Develop 3D CAD, engineering drawings and tolerance stacks for mechanical and electrical components and assemblies along with test rigs and assembly jigs.
• Deliver designs, concepts and detailed ideas that are optimised for low cost, high volume manufacturing.
• Understand and apply engineering analysis tools such as FEA and hand calculations to develop concepts and validate designs.
• Owning relevant DFMEA documentation and activities and supporting PFMEAs.
• Design for Assembly/Design for Manufacture – including assembly process proposals, Poka Yoke feature design, tolerance stacking, assembly jig design, and conducting slow builds.
• Work closely with the other engineering disciplines to ensure that the product performance, reliability, and cost expectations are met, all within the planned timeline of the project.
• Working closely with cross-teams including procurement, manufacturing, tooling, validation, material, performance, safety, and quality.
• Plan, report and communicate the electro-mechanical design and development to support milestone reviews.
• Mentoring junior/graduate engineers in methodology, standards, and best practice.
• As a Senior Design Engineer in Electrical Integration, you will have accumulated a sound knowledge and extensive working experience in mechanical and electrical integration, including wire harnessing, looming, PCB, power supply, motor, and battery pack integration.
• Degree in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
• Mechanical/Electrical/Design Engineer with at least 3 years of experience in electrical integration.
• A good understanding of mechanisms and awareness of the application of electrical & electronic principles.
• Knowledge and experience of working with embedded electronics, Digital and analogue circuitry and control systems is preferred, including hardware (Microcontrollers, Sensors, Arduino etc.) and software (Python, C* etc). experience
• Experience working with both mains high’/low Voltage and SELV appliances and applications.
• Experience working with 3D CAD (Siemens NX preferred)
• Experience working with PLM systems (TeamCenter preferred)
• Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
• Creative, adaptable and love to think out of the box.
Benefits• 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
• Pension scheme
• Performance related bonus
• Private medical insurance
• Life assurance
• Sport centre
• Free on-site parking
• Subsidised café and restaurants
• Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.