- Hullavington - United Kingdom
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people. We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
About the role
As a Senior Design Engineer, you will be working within a fast paced and exciting field with a dedicated inspiring workspace in a converted aircraft Hangar at Hullavington; focussed on developing products depending on advanced robotics and artificial intelligence technologies. Within Upstream Robotics you will be a crucial member of a dynamic team to help meet and exceed the requirements of our products and embedded technologies. You will be working closely with other engineers, designers, scientists, specialists, downstream teams and other cross functional teams to create and develop new technology, product formats and business cases for projects in our portfolio.
What we need you to do…
• Designers will be expected to initiate new product concepts and ideas and identify market opportunities from a blank sheet of paper;
• Be responsible for delivering key pieces of complex technology that help to define the specification of future products;
• Produce working concepts for reviews with the use of handmade or prototype parts;
• Produce mechanical designs across a range of device types and technologies to deliver our product performance specifications while considering cost, manufacturing and time delivery;
• Be responsible for 3D CAD and design requirements of mechanical systems of mechanical systems from concept, through evaluation to downstream delivery. Take an active role in defining design specifications for a given concept;
• Liaise and collaborate with the suppliers to develop innovative, robust and scalable technology platforms;
• Use hand calculations and/or computer simulation to validate designs through the development process, backed up with lab-based testing / characterisation / validation;
• Analyse test results, summarise and communicate these with both technical and non-technical colleagues;
• Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve design quality;
• Define plans, monitor progress and report to management on technical risks;
• Take an active, hands-on role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly;
• Own/contribute to team/department level initiatives & change projects.
- A degree in a relevant engineering, product design, or science discipline or equivalent;
- At least 2-3 years’ experience
- Sound understanding of basic mechanical/product design principles and the development of products and technologies through prototyping and testing;
- Proven ability to communicate through a variety of media;
- Ability to plan, prioritise and co-ordinate with work of others;
- Technical and personal credibility to work effectively in cross-functional design teams throughout the project development cycle;
- Basic knowledge and understanding of multiple tooling and manufacturing techniques;
- Proven experience of delivering creative design solutions that improve upon existing product designs;
- A creative and considered approach to problem solving, following clear design processes;
- Practical and methodical design development through hands on rig building, prototyping and testing;
- Ability to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and coordinate with the work of others;
- Good commercial awareness with pragmatic approach to balance cost and value;
- A self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- A passion for user focussed design.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Inspiring working spaces with a dedicated state-of-the-art facility in the heart of the Wiltshire countryside
- Pension scheme
- Performance related discretionary bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.